Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Microsoft 2000 professional - forgot password

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

Which actual program is this for? Microsoft Office professional 2000?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Richard, yes. There are a couple of computers which I used for my business and they have been in the loft for 7 years. I now need some info off one them but I have forgotten the password!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Richard, they are not connected to the internet! They are sitting in my garage.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

ok, when you say password ***** they do not need one, you mean the 25 character product key?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
When I fire them up I'm asked for user password. One is "Administrator" and the other is "roger". I need a password ***** each to open them.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

ok, this is not then for office, you mean I think windows

Try to do this

Try Booting into safe mode - pressing F8 at start up - and logging into the Administrators account.
Unless you set a password ***** will be blank, just press Enter.
You can then reset or remove the password.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
2. Expand the Local Users And Groups object under System Tools, and then click the Users folder.
3. In the right pane, right-click the appropriate user object, and then click Set Password.
4. Type the appropriate password, and then click OK.
5. Click OK to acknowledge that the password ***** succeeded.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** and try now.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Richard, F* brings up the following:
Windows 2000 Advanced Options Menu
We then get Safe Mode with 2 options, either Networking or Command Prompt
Below this are other options as follows:
Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA Mode
Last known Good Config
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows 2000 Domain Controllers Only)
Debugging Mode
Boot Normally
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
F8 not *
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

You choose Safe Mode

then you see administrator user

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Richard, I can go into "safe" mode but nothing else appears, let alone administrator user.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

ok, what appears when you choose Safe mode

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
34;Safe" in bottom corners of screen other writing across the very top and the normal logon screen in the centre
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

and now try to login with no password.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok wil do and I will get back to you
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Richard,
Nothing happens unable to log on - it calls for password
There is safe in all 4 corners and Microsoft(R) 2000(TM) service build 2195 service pak4free is across the top.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

ok, then you will have to reinstall it.

You will need to use the windows 2000 disk for this Roger, you put it into the computer, start the computer and keep tapping any disk until it starts into the installation.

Then perform the installation to wipe out the password

It will also clear the data from it but you cannot avoid this, it is the whole reason for the password.

Expert:  Richard replied 10 days ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Expert:  Richard replied 5 hours ago.

Hello again,

I see that you have left me a poor rating, instead of continuing to communicate with me.

Was that a mistake?

Please, let me know how else, I can be of assistance.