JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James has experience providing 3rd lines support for a range of office apps, from 2000 to 2013, including project and visio.
75967336

My bt/yahoo mail has stopped syncing with outlook - do I

my bt/yahoo mail has stopped syncing with outlook - do I have to modify my outlook settings
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Hi Noel,

I have seen a recent issue last week with another BT customer how had an issue, is it just Outlook you use to view your mail or do you use a mobile device and web mail as well?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I can see my e mails when I log in to BT mail plus they come through on my mobile. Emails stopped syncing wit outlook in Mid Jul 17 for some reason - my wife has the same issue on her laptop
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Are you able to send e-mails from outlook?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No can't receive or send
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Have you tried removing the account and re-adding it within outlook

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No - by doing that will I screw up my existing account?
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

It depends if your using POP3 or IMAP to view your e-mails.

POP3 stores e-mails locally, while IMAP stores them on the BT Servers so all the folders etc you setup will be re-downloaded.

Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

If you go into your account and tell me the incoming and outgoing addresses and long with what encryption and port they are running on I can confirm if these are up to date if that would help.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
OK
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
the only thing I can find in settings is IMAP - nothing about ports
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Ok when your in account settings window, click on the email account then the button which says change

Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

The incoming and outgoing server should be set to mail.btinternet.com, then click on more settings button, and click the advanced tab to view the ports and type of encryption.

Please let me know if you would prefer me to arrange for a secure remote session.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Incoming IMAP 993 - Out going SMTP 465
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

And what is the encryption set too?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
SSL/TLS
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Are you using Office 2013?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Office 2016
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Thats unusual as that option isnt normally shown, not to worry.

On the change account window, is the username containing the @btinternet.com or just the part before the @ symbol?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
before the @ symbol
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Ok, and your confident your using the correct password.

What error comes up when you press the Test Account Settings button?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Send test email message: The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

I think I would be inclined, to remove the mailbox and re-add it.

The wizard should be able to re-establish the settings and get the mailbox re-sync'd

On the account settings page, click remove, then click the New button and follow the wizard to re-add the account.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
OK - set up new account
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Let me know how it goes, and if you get an error after its completed the self test.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No Errors after testing - all test completed but still not synced - and not sending e mails from outlook - yet a microsoft test message has appeared in my BT mail box
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Do I need a hard reboot?
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

It wont do any harm, but that shouldnt make any difference.

At the bottom of the outlook window next to where it says connected what other text is shown, for instance does it say all folders are up to date?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
when I open outlook - there is a red x shown icon - also in bottom right corner is an icon saying working offline - which is not the case as I'm online
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Is my outlook 2016 corrupt?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Also the test shows all as being ok
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

It sounds like your in offline mode.

in outlook go to the send and receive tab at the top ribbon, then click the work offline button.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Yep that's worked - thanks a million for your patience
Expert:  JamesI replied 29 days ago.

Glad we got there in the end, so I can close the case please rate the service using the star rating on this page.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
first class