Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

A Windows 10 Pro question. My position is I have Windows 10

Hi, a Windows 10 Pro question. My position is I have Windows 10 pro on new Dell computer, and 365 subscription running as a user (same account as my wife who wants a fairly fool proof user experience). I activated Administrator as a profile but it is not letting me run secure drives or install AxCrypt latest, .1547. Did install Bitdefender successfully, and excluded my Hypertec encrypted ESB which has run happily on my other computers. I keep getting messages saying you don't have access permission.
My question is (I think) why can't I have effective administration rights and how do I set up to generally not have to log on as Administrator?

Hi there and welcome

This is one of the security features on windows.

What you need to do is instead of double clicking the icon to install, you need to Right click the icon and choose run as administrator in order to install it. It forces this to stop hidden programs installing without you knowing about it.

Do this please and let me know how you go.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** me to get AxCrypt installed. However the USB didn't work; I got the question to allow changes, but the .exe file didn't run to allow me to unlock the folder. (Just ejected the USB and redid run as Admin this to check again). Any thoughts?

Connect it t a different USB port and try again please on that port

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No luck. The .exe file is visibly available but won't open though running as Admin. The manual (attached) notes that one the drive is open*****references should come up, the folder and the other, but still only shows E:, so I guess something else. Just checked putting USB into other computer and goes straight to option to unlock.

ok, I see it was written for windows XP, the issue will be compatability here, if it was written for XP it was written for a host of libraries that are completly different in Windows 10.

But it is straightforward as there is minimal interaction, it is just not able to run due to incompatibilities with windows 10 sorry.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. The other computer it works on is running OS 8 up rated upon buying the computer(!) to 10, so I thought it was compatible. I hope I don't have other problems- I am not looking forward to Outlook and importing different Contacts and maintaining synch to various devices. I will replace my backup USB. Thank you for your help

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.