Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

Hello, I have a Mitsubishi 1.8 Carisma, for the last year I

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Mitsubishi 1.8 Carisma, for the last year I have had trouble with the engine,
I must start by saying the trouble is not there all the time. I go to the garage start up wait afew minutes for it to warm up, then back out, park up, come out again, every thing is fine just a slight tappet noise. Drive 1.5 miles swtich off again to go about my busness for 2 to 3 hours. Then when I start the car its starts on 3 pots revs counter flies up to 200 and stays
there, coming done slowly, this can take up to 1 t0 1,5 minutes. this happens every Saterday with out fail. Some times at the shops, then it can clear up for a while but never on Saterday. My car is servised regualy, and the mitsubishi,people say it would be exspensive. Thanks Jim.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

If the check engine light is ON when the engine is running then you have a stored malfunction code that will let you know what is malfunctioning .
What you have to do in this case is have the system checked with a code reader or scan tool that most shops and dealers will have to diagnose problems like this.

What i suggest you do first is have the system checked for codes and see what the testing technician says have to be done or post me the codes here so i can asssite you with this issue .

If there is no check engine light ON with the engine running them please get back to me .

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Rgds Greg.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr Greg,
Thank you for your reply to may trouble, I do not have the engine light on when I start are when I am running. Although in the past when I have done any distance running at speeds up to 70 mph it as come on, sometimes on the outward trip or on th return, My speeds are always on the low side, and not often get into top gear. I am 81 and go to the shops twice a week, Wednesday/Friday and my Rifle Club on Saturdays. The longest trips I make are Scarborough and Castle Hill hospital at Cottingham East Yorkshire, my self I live in Bridlington East yorkshire. This is the only further information I can send you. Hope it is of some use,

Yours truly XXXXX XXXXX S.................

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mr Jim .

Thank you very much for the extra information, need just a bit more please .

When was the last time you service this engine .
How many Miles have you covered .
Was the timing belt every replaced ,spark plugs etc.

Kindest regards Greg...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr Greg,
The last service was December 2012 complete oil/oil filter/air cleaner and what ever else they do on the big service, it also had the MOT at the same time.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX timming belt, it was replaced when it reached the milage stated in the book. The speedo reading is now 063504. Oh yes the spark plugs was changed in August and the correct Mitsubishi plugs was used, VERY EXSPENSIVE are they not.

I do hope this is of some use to you.

Yours truly, XXXXX XXXXX S.............

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mr Jim.

If all is okay and no spark plugs have failed then i would be inclined to say you have a
fuel problem .
Check for malfunction codes to see which cylinders are missing
Possible cause that i would check first in your case .
Engine compression test.
Fuel pressure test .
Injectors tested and flushed/cleaned professionally.

After the test of the fuel pump and compression of the engine are good
and you find you have a code for a misfiring engine and have codes letting you know which cylinders are missing then you can check the following on the malfunction cylinder .
Spark plug,
Injector.
Coil .coil wire /boot .

A good scan tool will cut the diagnostic time down considerably

Need further help Mr Jim, i will be here on and off though the day.I an 5 hrs behind you.

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr Greg,
Thank you for your reply, I will go to my garage with these remarks and have them do all you have recomended.

This may take quit a while, I will remember you are 5 hours

behind me. I will get back to you when I have something to report so

till then, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

My very best regards,

Mr Jim S.............

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Mr Jim.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will keep a watchfull eye out for you .

Buy for now ,

Kindest regards Greg (Fellow Yorkshireman)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr Greg, Jim here at Bridlington East Yorkshire. I have followed up on the information you sent me, went to my garage yesterday, where the machanic pluged a hand held machine in under the dash. He got a reading, it read, intermitant missfire, code P 0300, he looked in the book and it say's heating switch on the engine. Looking under the air cleaner there were 2 one a single conector, and one with a double conector.

The single one had green corrosion on it, so he cleaned it with a wire brush, both male and female, and asked me to try it.

Later in the afternoon it had not made any differance, I asked him if he would come on Saterday to my Rifle Club at 4-00 pm, and he as agreed, so hopefully he will witness it for himself.

I will be away at my club untill early evening so I will get back to you on Sunday. Thank you.

My best regards

Mr JIM.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Mr Jim .

Thank you for the valuable information .

The P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire.

Possible cause for this misfire code .
  • Faulty spark plugs or wires
  • Faulty coil (pack)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • Faulty fuel injector(s)
  • Burned exhaust valve
  • Faulty catalytic converter(s)
  • Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
  • Faulty camshaft position sensor
  • Defective computer

Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. even though you said you had the service done in December 2012 i would have these parts checked again ,But if you had the problem before the service i would look in the fuel delivery side and injectors .

Also just going thought my head you should have the catalytic converter checked when this gets bad will set a P0300 code .

Vacuum leaks ,

Well Mr Jim have this done Sir and then let me know what you find .

Kindest regards Greg

Plugs and leads or coil boots are the main cause of this problem

Fuel pressure should be checked, as the fuel injectors, if plugs wires are ok try a good expensive fuel injection cleaner with a tank of fuel .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr Greg/Sir,
I will get on to this ASAP, when my garage can fit me in, this however may take a week are more, but I will keep you informed when things are being done. Thank you.

My very best regards.

Mr Jim St............

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mr Jim .

No problem just let me know if you need further assistance with this issue and I'd be more then happy to assist you .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good afternoon Mr Greg,

Please excuse an old man for not understanding what to do next, you see my garage man who doe's all my repairs as been taken to Hospital, he is the owner of the business which leaves only the people he employs to open up. I was hoping to let you know, that what you advised me on in your last e-mail to me had fixed the trouble I have, but I can't .

I have just received your last e-mail and I think you want me to rate you. I was hoping to go to No 5 but I must go to No 4.

I will be very sorry to loose you at this stage but if there is any way I can contact you, when and if my motor is fixed I would very much like to do so.

I thank you with my "VERY BEST REGARDS".

[email protected]

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mr Jim .

Don't worry you don't have to rate now ,but if you do you will not lose contact with me you can come back where ever you can so don't worry .

I will happily work with you until this issue is worked out .

Kindest regards Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience: All Japan made models
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mr Greg, Sir,

Thank you for your understanding e-mail, it was the fact I thought you had to be paid, but I am very pleased that you can stay with me untill I know just what is to happen.

The truth is my motor car is in very good condition for its age and, being some what of an old relick myself at 81 yrs old, I just could not afford to change it.

So I promise to get back to you ASAP when I know what is to happen, as soon as my machanic is back at work, which I don't think will be very long, as he is a very keen man to be on the job.

Thank you again for your understanding.

My very very best regards

Mr Jim Ste............

PS. It is wonderful that you too are a Yorkshire man, may I ask which part.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mr Jim .

Don't worry about automatic emails you get Just get back to me when you can .

Originally from South Yorkshire ,Sheffield, Walkley. S6
Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Mr Greg,

I am sorry I have been a long time to get back to you, I went to see my garage man yesterday. His son is running the garage at the moment with the other staff, he told me it could be about 2 weeks before his father can get back to work. He is a very good machanic and has worked on my car before, so I showed him your reply to my last email and he is looking at my car it tomorrow FRIDAY.

Mr Greg, Sir, I have enjoyed all your e-mails, and if it comes out that it wants a lot of money spending on it, well I dont think I could afford it so I will have to run it while it lasts.

I was checking my bank statements today and found that I have had to pay another "£23-00 to Just Answer", which they took out of my bank on the 19 Feb 2013.

So I feel I must give you a 5 rating for all you have done,I am very sorry that I have to end before I could let you know what the end will be.

My very best regards for the future.

Mr Jim Stephenson.

Nice to know you come from Sheffield, I have had some very goods friend from your town, and wonderful memories.

"THANK YOU"

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jim .

Thank you very much for the great rating, and i hope you get back to me with what ever your mechanic finds .
You can come back to this page and there is not extra charge for getting back to me, and i will happily continue to work with you if needed.

Kindest regards Greg