Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

My wife put petrol in our 2008 shogun 3.2 diesel and drove

Customer Question

My wife put petrol in our 2008 shogun 3.2 diesel and drove it for 17 miles on the motorway before it failed, the tank has been drained and refuelled with the correct fuel and bled to the filter but the engine won't start, is it necessary to bleed the injector pump itself or should it self bleed, there is no smoke coming from the exhaust when the engine is turning over, do you think the pump is damaged?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
This all depends on what the petrol to diesel ratio was .

If the petrol contents where high then to could cause expensive damage ,

Petrol in diesel cars once started the first to be damage is the IP injection pump

IP are lubricated by the diesel itself so petrol is basically dry and this will damage the pump
and with driving 17 miles then this will be enough .

Low and high pressure pumps will also be affected ,

Cylinders pistons and valve may have been damaged a compression test will have to be done ,I've seen piston melt down done with petrol in diesel engines .

Does not look good.

This should bleed itself once the ignition is switch on with the low pressure pump (if not damaged ) unless you still have the older system which has on the firewall a fuel filter with hand pump on top .if so pump this until it gets hard then try and start..

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

Rgds Greg