Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

I have a Mitsibushi Shogan 1999 Diesel 2.8 which I have had

Customer Question

I have a Mitsibushi Shogan 1999 Diesel 2.8 which I have had from new and which has been a very reliable vehicle. Lately I have encountered problems when starting - it will start off normally but after abt 5 mins it cuts out looking for fuel. I have to pound the starter for abt. 10 mins until it eventually starts up having found the fuel to run and then it runs fine all dayh with no problem at all. After having been left overnight the same pro blems occurs every single time without fail. I have changed the filter on the fuel line under the bonnet, I have changed the filter on the fuel tank at the rear to no avail. Once you have got the motor started it runs fine. Can you please help to find a solution to this problem!!
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have fitted a 10mm in line non return fuel value in addition to vchanging the fuel filter on the engine and the fuel filter in the tank but the problem is still there in that you start up fine and after abt 5 mins it cuts out and then you really have to hammer the starter motor to re-start. have you any suggestions please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have fitted a 10mm in line non return fuel value in addition to vchanging the fuel filter on the engine and the fuel filter in the tank but the problem is still there in that you start up fine and after abt 5 mins it cuts out and then you really have to hammer the starter motor to re-start. have you any suggestions please? I have already paid for an answer and do not want to take out a monthly subscription.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what more information do you require?

No further information is required at the moment. I will continue to search for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name is***** will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

Has the fuel pressure been checked cold and when the vehicle is at operating temperature?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the fuel pressure has been checked and the vehicle starts from cold but cuts out dead after 2/3 mins.

Ok,has the vehicle been scanned for trouble codes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO THE VEHICLE HAS NOT BEEN SCANNED FOR TROUBLE CODES.

have you any other suggestions?

It seems the Professional may have left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can either return your good faith deposit to the original funding source, or we can keep your deposit on your account here for future questions.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would very much like to resolve my problem and get a satisfactory solution. Therefore, please keep my deposit on account and carry on trying to find the right Professional to assist.

Many thanks.

Melvyn Mattock

Hello Melvyn,

Thank you for your patience, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Sorry missed this question of your ,

This is a very typical issue which i am repairing on a very regular basis on the 1999 - 2000 models .

All you have to do is replace the fuel filter pump ,this is the part of the filter housing that is fitted to the firewall , this has a one way valve and when this fails the fuel drains back to the tank .

If you do manage to get the car running will stall again after two to three miles of driving.

To confirm this all you have to do is pump the pump on the firewall just to the side under the intercooler .pump until its hard, and then engine will start will start quickly, then drive car, may stall after two - three miles, then you have to pump it again til hard and then will start again quickly .

Going from your question i pretty sure this is your problem .

If needed please get back to me .

Oh if not sure what this part looks like here is a photo .

graphic

Rgds Greg