mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2000 mitsubishi pajero 2.8 manual. Im trying to replace

Customer Question

I have a 2000 mitsubishi pajero 2.8 manual. I'm trying to replace the gearbox. I've looked at now 18+ 2.8 manaul gearboxes all 1998 - 2000 spec and all are longer then mine and won't fit the car. The length on mine is 42inches from end of bell housing to prop end with cone removed. All the others are 46 inches long Any ideas as car is in amazing shape and want to get sorted. Thanks Miles
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome to Just Answer/Pearl. My name is Mike, I will
do my very best to assist you with your question today.

Is the original engine and gear box still in the vehicle,or has it been swapped at any time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike, the vehicle is completely unmolested condition - all original. I've been trying to track down a reason for the difference in boxes and reached the conclusion that the vehicle is a mark 2 Pajero built somewhere between 94 and 98. It was first registered in Hong Kong 2000 but as you're probably aware grey imports can be a nightmare to track down the right parts for the right model/date. According to details I've found on the net the gearbox for my vehicle should be a V5M21 5 speed manual coming off a 4M40 2.8 (non-turbo) engine. Also it appears that this was also used in the Delicia and L200 of the same era. What I really want to know is the tech spec for the gearboxes on the various models including things like length and bolt holes on bell housing etc which I can't find anywhere - Mitsubishi are monumentally unhelpful. I just need these details as the people selling the boxes recons or otherwise are not that clued up on the specifics. I've currently bought and returned 3 boxes.

Thanks in advance. Miles

This is unfortunately information that I am unable to find as well,this information is going to be very difficult to find and i'm not even sure where to tell you to start.