mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

my outlander goes into limp mode when under strain (up- hills

Customer Question

my outlander goes into limp mode when under strain (up- hills or towing) any idea?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Diesel or petrol .

Any warning lights on when the engine is running .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

None at all

It happens quite frequently now (daily) and once I switch the engine off and back on it is back to normal.

One the orange engine light stayed on but switched soon after.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Another point , shortly after I bought the car (new) this happened. I took the car in and was advise that there was a recall notice on the outlander. A repair was made which seems to have lasted some years now

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Diesel - no warning light at all.

Because it happens so unexpectedly, I switch off the motor and restart on the fly - no lights at all

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Athol.

If the check engine light did come ON then you will have a stored code in the management system .

You will need to be hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool to check for malfunction codes .

Have the basics checked first, like the fuel filter if this has not been replaced in the past
then replace this and retry ,

The most common issue for the problem you are having is the EGR system have this also checked .

Can you get it checked for malfunction codes

Can you recall what the recall was , was it for the sameproblem you are having now .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes the recall was for a "value" on the turbo booster

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi Athol .

This sounds like this could be the same issue ,
Check at the dealers when you had the systen updated they may have used old stock
seen this done a few times .

Rgds Greg