Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician
21364095

i am having trouble with the auto box on my 3.2 did not properly

Customer Question

i am having trouble with the auto box on my 3.2 did not properly selecting if at all the only way to get started sometimes is to select neutral, have read else where that this might be down to a sticky selector .
Mike
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mike,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes no problem

Hello Mike,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike,

If I am understanding correctly, you are having difficult starting the truck and that sometimes when you are in Neutral it is less troublesome, and you are having difficulty selecting gears as well sometimes.

When these issues occur you will be looking at a faulty gear selector switch, also referred to as Range Switch, Park Neutral Position Switch (PNP), or Neutral Safety Switch. All the same thing just different names. This switch tells the computer what position the transmission has been shifted to so that it can properly engage as well as it acts as an interlock to prevent the engine from being started in any range other than Park or Neutral.

When this switch fails you will often have difficult getting the truck to go in to gear as well as sometimes have problems starting the truck in Park or needing to move the shifter around a bit to get it to work. Similarly if the switch or cable are skewed you can sometimes find that the gear position on the shifter will not match the actual position; placing in Drive actually has it in Neutral, and moving further down to 3 (or manual mode if Sport-tronic) acquires Drive.

The gear select switch is mounted on the left side of the transmission under the vheicle. It has a cable leading to it from the shifter. The cable does have some adjustment in case you are seeing skewed positions where you can adjust it (these sometimes get bumped in the brush and move or even just pull out of position over time).
If replacement is in order it is just a matter of unplugging, unbolting the cable then unbolting from the transmission (it sits on the shift shaft). It will need to be fine tuned for adjustment on replacement as well of course.