Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Shogun, 2.8, diesel, auto, which overheats

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Mitsubishi Shogun, 2.8, diesel, auto, which overheats and no one seems to know the reason why. When water is put into the radiator, the car seems to overheat quickly and foam goes into the expansion tank. Also if the radiator cap is removed, the foam bubbles out of there. I have tried three garages, and nobody seems to have any answers. I assume the thermostat is OK and the water pump works well. The car starts up fine and runs normal. One garage took the car away and told me it was dead, but funnily enough they drove it back!! On a short run it overheats quickly. HELP PLEASE.
ps. New top half installed 4,000 miles ago.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Very strange that no repair shop can diagnose this problem of overheating .

Do you know what has been done to test this problem .

Why was the cylinder head replaced 4.000 miles ago .

Was a combustion chamber test done .

Compression test done .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg

Thanks for your reply.

Cylinder head was leaking oil 4,000 miles ago, so the whole top half was replaced. Since then have had no problem until the car overheated a few weeks ago. There is no sign of oil in the foam or water coming out of radiator. Garage that has worked on my previous cars, and who replaced head gasket etc. are the ones who took car away and said it was dead so did not perform any tests, but I have driven it short distances since and it has overheated. If they had diagnosed a problem, I would hopefully have been able to have it fixed.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

After overheating the engine this will slightly warp the aluminium head and let compression into the coolant system .and quickly overheat the engine in short time .
Causing the overflow bottle to get pressured coolant pushed out and bubble.
You will have to do the combustion chamber test .
Here is how it done ,your shop should know how to do this .
Leak test click here
To have a headgasket blow does not always mean you have coolant in your oil or oil in your coolant .

Your symptoms are a very common indication of a head gasket problem .
Even though you have just had the head done don't count out that the gasket
has blown .

Now this is going from the question you stated that the water pump ,thermostat and radiator is in good working order.

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg