Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

i have a mitsubishi 2800 1997 i have lost a lot of the warning

Customer Question

i have a mitsubishi 2800 1997 i have lost a lot of the warning lights on the dashboard.checked all the fuses i can find hope you can help
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes and also the new battery i fitted has gone flat after 1 weeks use.checked for inline fuses but cant find anything dont wont to take to a garage because i keep getting over charged many thanks

Thank you for providing additional information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

The warning lights on the dashboard (instrument cluster), would need replacing since the fuses were checked.

Having the problem with the battery and the instrument cluster bulbs failing, the most likely suspect would be the alternator. In your case it seems to be overcharging. The symptoms are typical for a faulty alternator. So you need to check the alternator and its wiring, replace as necessary, and once you get good power supply (from the new alternator), you remove the instrument cluster and replace the bulbs at its back.

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Regards, Billy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for your reply but have checked cluster bulbs and all ok
regards gary

Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.
Hello Gary,

Before proceeding with the bulbs (as it could be the wiring connector, the instrument cluster board etc...), you need to check and fix the alternator (at least check the alternator output), as it very likely is causing all the problems...

Get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.

Regards, Billy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hello if the alternator is over charging then why is the battery going flat which is a brand new regards gary

Expert:  Billy replied 4 years ago.

The alternator overcharging would damage the battery, same way as if undercharging (but much faster). Either way, and with your symptoms, i would first check the alternator.

Kindly get back to me with the results, so we proceed accordingly (if there's a current leak, etc...)

Regards, Billy