Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician
21364095

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander used gently no offroad or

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander used gently no offroad or towing.
At 55000 miles the clutch started slipping at 2000 - 3000revs but not at low revs pulling away. Local agent said flywheel was at fault and fitted new one with new clutch plate.
Car has done 500 miles since and gearbox jammed in 6th gear needed to slip clutch to get home. Parked vehicle and found all gears now working again. is it likely all problems stem from gearbox.?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.

If you are experiencing the manual clutch model slipping as well as getting stuck in 6th gear etc, it is most probable that there is something going on with the pressure plate causing problems engaging/disengaging the clutch properly.
There aren't any realistic scenarios where a transmission internal problem would cause this simply due to the design of the transmission. The internals either work or don't and will not come and go in operation. This is because it is solid mechanical movements inside, and if a movement is unable to be made (bent fork or damaged synchroniser for example), that problem is not going to go away.

Considering the nature of the original failure, that the problem was resolved and now there is a new/different failure that is very similar in nature, I would be concerned over a possible installation issue with the pressure plate (not evenly tightened down, engagement with the release bearing being an issue, etc). As long as you are able to row through the gears with the engine off, however, there is no mechanical issue internally. If you are able to row through the gears with the engine running without grinding, there are no internal synchroniser issues etc. The pressure plate/clutch/bearing assembly is your biggest suspect here.