Peterkmiles
Peterkmiles, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  13 years experience at the highest level of automotive technology
37560582

I have a 3.2di d there is a box on top of the rocker cover

Customer Question

I have a 3.2di d there is a box on top of the rocker cover connected to the exhaust manifold and some kind of valve. the box has a kind of fire blanket round about it with a hole burnt in it and it is blowing black soot over the bulk head and also burnt a hole in the plastic cover over the engine. can you tell me what it is and and how to fix it please
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Peterkmiles replied 4 years ago.

The item you are describing is the EGR valve, it is a valve that recycles some of the exhaust gasses back into he engine intake to reduce the missions.

These units run at extremely high temperature and can fracture and leak gasses, it sounds like this has happened in your case, in my view you must have the part changed immediately as the hit gasses emitted from this are a fire risk, as can be seen from the burnt heat cover and engine cover.

I hope this provides some advice to you, please remember your deposit doesn't pay me for my advice, please rate my answer. If you have any further questions on this subject please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards

I notice you haven't rated my answer, I would be very grateful if you could as your deposit doesn't pay me for the answer only your rating does.

If I can be of further assistance with this question please come back to me.

Peter