Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

Hi, I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander sport Bi/Fuel. When

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Outlander sport Bi/Fuel. When I get stuck in a traffic queue, the air outlets in the cabin area start to blow very warm air into the cabin even with the heating turned to fully cool. Also the complete bonnet area gets very warm indeed, also underneath the bonnet, and the wings are hot to touch as well. The engine temperature stays at the correct temperature, no matter what. Although the engine starts ok, it seems to need to get warm before it is able to pull away smoothly. I have replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor which came up when the orange engine fault light came on and this week the Accelerator throttle sensor complete with the accelerator body (not cheap). It does seem to be running slightly better but occasionally the orange engine light comes on, but it still seems to run ok. The warm air coming into the cabin is the real issue and everyone here seems baffled. When the warm air comes into the cabin, it is very warm, however once out of the traffic queue, cool air comes into the cabin after 4-5 minutes quite normally. In spite of the engine temperature staying normal, the bonnet still gets very warm indeed, many thanks - G K Buckley
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello G.K. Buckley,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, yes I can wait, but the orange light is driving me mad. Had the light turned off yesterday, but it came on again today. Car running ok'ish. May have to return the car to dealer if nothing is sorted by Wednesday - Gordon

Hello G.K Buckley,

Thank you for getting back to me and providing additional information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Gordon and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

The MAF and the throttle body would cause the engine warning light, and the reduced performance. These, however, have nothing to do with your ventilation issue. And ventilation problems would not cause warm air to the cabin.

For the engine issue, warning light and reduced performance, you can get back to me with the fault codes (exact fault codes you get on a diagnostics computer), and i should be able to help with understanding what is causing the light, what and how to check accordingly.

As for the ventilation issue, please get back to me with the following:
- do you have an A/C? or just heating?
- if yes, do you have the digital controls, or regular knobs?
- were the A/C or heater matrix checked?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, the codes that have come up so far are : PO100 and PO110. Both components have been replaced.

components

have been replaced (nearly £700) and the light has now come on again for some reason. Slowly running out of money - Gordon

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Gordon,

Do you have the codes stored now? as those may be different, and other components need checking?
did you check the connectors at the engine control module?
- do you have an A/C? or just heating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, i have a/c, normal knob controls, it is a bi-fuel and w

hen starting from cold, does run a but lumpy (searching type effect) but when warm, runs well on petrol and gas - Gordon

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Gordon,

Was the ECT (engine coolant temperature sensor) signal checked?
did you check the oil vapor (breather) hose?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, all done, the main problem seems to be the engine hunting (for more fuel) when on petrol when cold (rpm fluctuates a bit). On petrol when warm - no problem. On gas also - no problem.

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Gordon,

did you check the spark plugs?
did you check/clean the throttle body?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All replaced Gordon

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Gordon,

Both codes indicate the MAF problem, and it would cause exactly the same symptoms you are getting.
Did you check the wiring from MAF and IAT to engine control module?
did you check for any air leaks?
did you check the connector on the engine control module?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, the maf has been changed. It still seems to hesitate when on petrol starting from cold. When warm it is slightly better but is still hunting as if its not getting enough fuel. On gas it is a lot better. Changing to petroleum on the motorway it seems to go without any problem but the light still comes on whenever it feels q it

Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.
Hello Gordon,

In this case, i would first check the wiring and signals from the MAF and IAT to the engine control module, as they would cause this, and being replaced, the wiring is next to be checked.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I am still having problems with the engine hunting when on petrol.

Someone has advised me to have the valve clearances checked as the engine has done 90,000 miles. They also say that the tolerances are different when running on gas and therefore runs better when on gas.

I cannot detect any loss in performance as it has never run smoothly since I bought it - regards Gordon