mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

L200, starts , but as soon as you let the key off , it stops

Customer Question

L200, starts , but as soon as you let the key off , it stops . only 12 volt at fuel solenoid when you have it on starter. now and again it will run , and runs fine if you don't turn if off , if you do turn it off , and start it right away it will start and run , but leave it 2 or 3 minutes and back to start but not run .its a 03 plate

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am willing to wait a bit, till Monday night any way, even be happy pointers of where to look.

thanks Fraser

Hello Fraser,

Thank you for getting back to you. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Fraser which engine do you have the 4D56 or the 4M40 .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg. I should have said it is the 4d56

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg. its the 4d56

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi ..

When you let go of the switch and it turns off will it start back up or each time you do this is will turn itself off ..

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

will start every time ,but not keep running, I know its not good to do - but if you keep starter on the engine would go to full throttle if you were to kept the key on. if and when it douse run , will run fine , if you stop it and start it right away its fine , but leave it a couple of minutes you are back to square one

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.

Put a test light on the cut off switch ,switch on the ignition then the light should light up, then try and start, light should stay ON , when the engine starts let the key go, is the test light still on or did it go out ..

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

their is nothing there on ignition ,only when you turn on the starter. there is also a large solenoid about a foot away from the battery ,it is only "live " when starter is on. I have put a live to both fuel cut off , and the other solenoid and just the same

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Okay as i understand, you put battery voltage direct to the cut off switch and started the engine and it still stalls when letting go of the switch .
Take a photo of the solenoid on the side of the wing ,think your on about the glowplug solenoids , post the photo so i can see where you are connecting up and checking for power .
Greg