Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

I purchased a Mitsubishi Shogun GDI elegance A LWB year October

Customer Question

I purchased a Mitsubishi Shogun GDI elegance A LWB year October 2001.

After 6 months and only 1,000 miles of use the engine died.

Garage to which it was recovered states found spark plugs had failed. Fitted new spark plugs and changed oil and filter. Road tested & vehicle overheated. Engine block test carried out and found head gaskets had failed and compression low. Cause Extended time between engine oil service, Pistons in contact with cylinder bores.

Since the car was serviced before delivery and therefor oil should be ok is it reasonable to assume that the fault was a pre-existing fault which eventually manifested itself as opposed to a sudden unexpected failure

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like an answer within the next 24 hrs since I have some decisions to make

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi .

Whats the mileage on this engine ,
I take it you have the 3.5L ?
Old oil will not cause an overheated issue, but lack of coolant or coolant related issue will cause a overheat problem
due to thermostat stuck closed failed, water pump, cooling fans or fan clutch failure .

How did they confirm piston to cylinder wall problem .?

Get back to me and let me know .

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mileage is 107,000

The garage that it was taken too initially say :- Check for poor running. Remove spark plugs and check and find plugs have failed. Supply and fit 6 new spark plugs. Carry out oil and filter change. Road test and vehicle overheated. Carry out engine block test and found headgaskets failed and compression low.

Yes its a 3.5 long wheelbase.

No warning lights came up on the car prior to stopping on the motorway only pinking under strain which is why we stopped.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

Sorry this happened to you but running this though my head i think the shop forgot to top back up the coolant..

After replacing the spark plugs where you have to drain some coolant off as the main
inlet manifold has to come off to replace the plugs,
now when the shop replaced the manifold they did not top it up .
Why am i so certain ..well on this engine if you are low on coolant and it starts to overheat it will not mark on the gauge it will go up to 1/2 way on the gauge this is a known fact , if it was filled with coolant and it started to overheat it would mark on the gauge HOT.

Now i've worked on hundred of these 3.5L that's overheated and my answer to this problem is probably correct.

9 out of 10 engines that overheat you may only have to remove the head get them skimmed and replace the gaskets .

When the heads are removed then you can check the cylinder walls for damaged .

Your compression is down due to a bad headgasket ,so before doing any engine replacements check the cylinder walls for damage then work from there .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Greg

Thanks for that.

I guess my basic question is. Having done only 1,000 local miles in 6 months is it reasonable to say that the fault, whatever it is, was a pre-existing condition when I bought it bearing in mind the garage serviced the car prior to collection.

Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.
Hi .

No i don't,
I personally think the shop that replaced the plugs was the problem, as they did not refill with coolant .
Funny before the plug change all was okay just stalled and then they did a tune up got it running good then you had a overheat ...?

If you had the problem from the start you would not have done 1000miles .

Rgds Greg