mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Have mitsubishi shogun 3.2 D.Had service on this fri and on

Customer Question

Have mitsubishi shogun 3.2 D.Had service on this fri and on Sat morning car broke down.
Heard clunk and then power disappeared,I stopped and pulled over straight away and sit down engine.The call out engineer noticed that there was no oil on the dip stick and no oil under car or from exhaust.
The dealer this morning has rung and said that the car only needed .7 of a litre to top up and the car had oil in it but just not enough.They have assured me that the engine is fine now and the clunk was a pipe from the throttle body to the engine disconnecting which has now been repaired.
Spoke to another dealership and they say that it is possible to have between 6 to 7 litres in the engine with the dip stick being dry.
My question is ; why are they saying that it only needed .7 litres and do you think there could be damage to the engine that may not be apparent at this time but could give me problems.They are saying that there must have been oil in the engine as the car could not have driven 18 miles without oil.
What should I do?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

What year is the car?

Did the garage say exactly how much they put in at the start?

How did the engine sound before it before it broke down? ie:- noiser than usual or any obvious noises running noises or warning lights come on prior to breaking down etc?