mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

my pajero automatic will not change into top gear the overdrive

Customer Question

my pajero automatic will not change into top gear the overdrive light comes on and off on the dash when the switch is operated but it stays in third gear the gearbox changes normal apart from this
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
From what you are describing this is the overdrive drum piston loosing pressure or the overdrive band is damaged or loose both of these are common to cause the issue that you are currently having.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is the cure

The cure is to open the gearbox and inspect the band and replace if flaked or scored and air test the drum which will show if the piston is leaking. If leaking the drum has to be replaced.