Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician
21364095

I have an 03 mitsubishi shogun 3.2did.whilst on the motorway

Customer Question

I have an 03 mitsubishi shogun 3.2did.whilst on the motorway the timing chain broke and
the vehicle was taken to an engine repair centre in the folkestone area.with living in wiltshire and not knowing who to take it to i settled for the nearest one. They stripped
dowd the engine and fitted several parts related to this problem.When the repair was complete the engine was running very rough and blowing smoke out of the exhaust.The only way they could make it run smoothly was by disconecting the edr valve but at 3000 revs
it starts to lose power and the rev counter dosent work. the car is drivable as it is but
not as it was before the timing chain broke. Could it be that they have set the timing
wrong? I have the car back home and my mechanic here is stumpted as to the problem.
your advice would be appreciated. tel. XXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 3 years ago.

Given the requirement of disconnecting the EGR to get it to run better, the RPM reading stopping, and the heavy smoke and lack of power... it sounds for certain like the pump timing is going to be off.

At this point given the combination of symptoms that is the most probable scenario and it is unlikely anything else they did would be majorly incorrect to cause this situation. Knowing that, if the shop is at wits end at this point (as it sounds they are if they are replacing components unrelated to the original failure), it would be probably in your best interest to get it to a shop more familiar with the vehicle and have the pump timing checked/corrected.