mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

08 Mitsu i petrol - purchased July 09. C30k miles now. Automatic.

Customer Question

08 Mitsu i petrol - purchased July 09. C30k miles now. Automatic. Orig owner Mitsu dealership. Gears 'jump' in after slowing and immediately speeding up again. Non-M mechanic checked gear oil at service and said no problem. Suggested I contact M dealer. Mitsu dealership advised there was a recall of 2007 cars due to problem auto gears/box; that my car had received specified adjustment at manufacture, and that Mitsu specified whole gear oil should be changed every 5 years and this was specified in service book (I haven't managed to check that yet). I have no idea how to check what they're saying - I've had problems with M dealer in the past, which is reason for me not using them since 2010. They've changed oil and say problem is still there. Now they're telling me they can only replace the whole gearbox, (which, they say, will cost more than the value of the car!) not repair it cos they don't have the expertise/equipment. But they can send it to a specialist! I had no idea they wouldn't be able to complete the task, eg find out what was wrong and give me a price to fix it inhouse!
Have you any experience of this problem? I'd be grateful for any help/advice/suggestions. I was thinking of getting AA to independently inspect as I am a member.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Do you have any warning lights on at all when the engine is running .

Which mitsu model do you have and engine size .

Please try and explain the best you can what the transmission is doing acting like .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To repeat information given earlier:

"08 Mitsu i petrol - purchased July 09. C30k miles now. Automatic. Orig owner Mitsu dealership. Gears 'jump' in after slowing and immediately speeding up again"

eg slowing at red traffic light, then lights change, so immediately speeding up, 'bump' of gear changing up felt also by passengers.

I've now spoken to another Mitsu dealer who has another customer with what appears to be a similar problem on 2007 model. They say M have never supplied parts for such problems to be fixed. Dealerships can only replace!! (Quote for this from orig dealer is £4,638!!) 2nd Dealer has asked Mitsu for technical information - which has, apparently, been supplied in Japanese!!

Don't think I can give any further information, but quite willing to try if needed.

T

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To repeat information given earlier:

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Sorry but the Mitsubishi have the same car on one side of the world and one on the other but with a different name , what i need is the name of your car Colt ,galant etc and which engine size .

So the problem you are experiencing a a hard knock when shifting up or down
or both is is only doing it from 1st to 2nd or in all gears ..

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg

Thanks for trying to help but it seems your knowledge of the Mitsubishi car range will not be extensive enough to help with this particular query.

To explain: The model is an 'i'. I'm surprised you don't have knowledge of it, or have found information about it on the internet as, I understand, it won Japanese electric car of the year in, I believe, 2007. Then they also brought out a petrol version. Now their electric version is called Miev.

It seems that the problem for Mitsu dealers here is that very few i's were sold, so there is a lack of learning/knowledge gained from experience, Mitsu appear only to supply complete units for whole replacement, not individual parts for parts of units to be repaired. All of which information I would have expected an appropriate 'expert' from Justanswer to know, so I will reply to Justanswer that they have not yet found the 'right' or appropriate expert. I appreciate your attempt at assistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
This is what I replied to Greg on my 2nd answer to him.
"Thanks for trying to help but it seems your knowledge of the Mitsubishi car range will not be extensive enough to help with this particular query.
It seems that the problem for Mitsu dealers here is that very few i's were sold, so there is a lack of learning/knowledge gained from experience, Mitsu appear only to supply complete units for whole replacement, not individual parts for parts of units to be repaired. All of which information I would have expected an appropriate 'expert' from Justanswer to know, so I will reply to Justanswer that they have not yet found the 'right' or appropriate expert. I appreciate your attempt at assistance."
So you can see that he didn't even understand that I had given him the model of the car (model 'i', and had not done any research (these can easily be found via UK Mitsubishi dealers), so Greg has no credibility in this instance.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will wait for an answer from someone who knows Mitsubishi and this particular car - model 'i'

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.