Mike
Mike, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Done 95,000 miles in my 2005 Colt diesel, but we have intermittent

Customer Question

Done 95,000 miles in my 2005 Colt diesel, but we have intermittent draining of the battery and car won't start. have replaced battery. taken out hands free kit and had the original alternator checked. If we leave the car more than a couple of days doesn't start. Mon to Frid I just drive 1.5 miles to the station. paid £400 for a garage to check everything including taking every fuse out. Any Advice?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE -

Did you have the battery draining issue before you fitted the Sat Nav - ?

To be clear - have you removed that now for test purposes?

Exactly what did the garage do for £400....?

Rgds, MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No No battery draining issue as sat Nav left in the car was fitted from new by the garage before we took delivery of the car. Had the next Sat Nav fitted and no problems. Problems only started at about 92,000 miles

and had sat nav fitted at about 50,000 mlles.

Garage had the car for a week to monitor battery drainage but found it intermittent. Some days battery drained more than others. Tried taking out fuses to see if any caused battery to drain quicker, checked battery/ alternator, new interior lights left on, took cigarette lighter out, in fact everything they could think of. Had faith in garage as had used them from new.

removed sat nav as only thing left to test.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again, thank you for your reply and further info.

Ok - I note you have a replacement battery on it - was that a brand new or 2nd hand one?

Too - are the symptoms identical with that battery to the old one?

Also - when the garage "tested" it - was an "amps" test done on the systems?

£400 is an incredible amount for checking this -and getting no where - I could do with knowing more on that ... but if you can let me know on at least the above , then we can progress..

Too - do you have a multimeter with amps test function so that I could direct you ?

Last - at least for now - has the car had a replacement radio system fitted at all?

Rgds, MIKE.......................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brand new battery and after fitted still had identical problems. Took car back to garage that fitted battery they tested it & okay. No replacement radio fitted.

We have an "Ampere" that tests the battery amps numbered 1-4.

At the moment we are trying to disconnect the battery every night to see if that helps & we have bought a battery charger.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your further info.

I wasn't on yesterday so Im sorry about that - but actually that may have an advantage... as you mention you have been disconnecting the battery at night -- is that "curing" the flat battery issue for you - ?

Just let me know on that , then we'll progress -

Best Rgds, MIKE...............................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, but slightly better. Did not drive on Saturday and on Sunday just ticking over enough to start and did a long motorway drive, disconnected battery and this morning Monday started.

Conclusion being that disconnecting battery helps but still does not solve the problem or tell us what is still draining the battery.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and further info.

Ok - no, it wont tell you what is draining the battery - but it will tell you if it is a battery , or "car/ system" fault...( This assumes the battery is the right one for the car ) So if on reconnection it starts fine, its not the battery... and the fault has to be found.

So - you have to now go about doing a proper parasitic drain test - this evidently hasn't been done -

You need as I mentioned , a test meter capable of checking Amps ranges..
First - remove the key from the ign ( this is to make the computer modules on the car to "go to sleep"... Give it 1 hour after removing the key before testing as follows )

Disconnect one battery lead - . Set your Multimeter to Amps as mentioned above.

Connect the Positive Multimeter Lead to the Battery Positive terminal. Make sure the Positive Lead you removed from the battery does not touch anything like metal / earth ..

Connect the Negative Lead from the Multimeter to the Positive Lead you removed from the Battery.
You should now see current drain measured in Amps. Move to the lower Amp setting on your multimeter if the current is lower than the setting on the Multimeter" Low" setting.

Now - go through the fuses in the fuse boxes - removing one at a time...and not what happens on the meter.. You are looking for a significant move on the meter - for the reading you have, to drop off / away - When that happens, you know you are on the correct circuit , thats causing the drain. Identify what is on that fused circuit , then you have to further disconnect each item on that circuit to ID the faulty item causing the problem - and that then can be fixed whatever is needed. Items in the engine bay can be disconnected first - such as sensors, alternator etc...to test in the same way.

I would have thought that the garage would have done this already for your money but some don't do it right - so that has to be done. Also - before you do anything - it can be a good idea to remove the light bulbs from the interior lights inc the boot light and under bonnet / glove box lights etc - as fitted... as sometimes, they can be ON overnight for whatever reason ( to be found ) when you would think they are off... I would suggest do that first - then go from there as above to correct this issue you have.

It would also be a good idea to have the charging system checked - to ensure that when the car is driven, the battery is getting the correct charge....

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.