Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

1996 Mitsubishi Pajero TD - Vehicle has problem cold starting

Customer Question

1996 Mitsubishi Pajero TD - Vehicle has problem cold starting in the mornings. Engine turns over OK but will not fire. That is unless I keep the foot on the acceleator and regulary keep attempting to turn on the ignition. It will eventually struggle to start and pump out smoke.
Once it has started it will be perfect for the rest of the day with no problems at all and will start first time when I need it to.
Have tried new Glow Plugs but so far unsuccessful
Any suggestions please ?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

This is a glow plug circuit problem or a fuel delivery issue .

What i suggest you do first is first thing in the morning on the firewall just behind the intercooler is the fuel filter with the fuel primmer pump , pump this until it becomes hard then try and start ,if she starts then replace the fuel pump.

If she still has a problem starting the have the glowplug circuit tested to see how long the glow plugs are ON when the ignition is switch on . if they come on foe less than a few seconds then you could have a problem with the temp sensor or a possible glowplug module .

Please check this and get back to me if needed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg