Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

my wifes Grandis wont start. Multiple clicking noises when

Customer Question

my wifes Grandis won't start. Multiple clicking noises when the ignition switch is turned. No previous symptoms and the car had been used previously the same day. She had spent the afternoon with tbe radio on and doors open while cleaning the car but I would not have expected that to flatten the battery enough to cause starting issues, but could be wrong. Finally, after a failed start a low tone can be heard from somewhere in the engine compartment. I think towards the near side. any ideas?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi..there sorry for the delay..

Ok..Well usually the first place would in fact be the battery itself..though as you say you shouldnt expect it to run flat to not be able to start the engine - its is possible the time you did have the radio on aswell as the doors open has caused the battery to drop slightly where it wont have enough power to operate the starter hence you get the rapid clicking..so don't rule out the battery yet..maybe try if you can jump start the car and see if that gets it going..if it does then ensure that the vehicle is left running for a about 15mins or so or take it for a short drive just to boost the battery.and that should be that.I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

after I posted the question we borrowed jump leads from neighbour but made no difference. also no hissing cells from the battery, so pretty convinced its not battery. I was hoping for a well known solution like a particular cable dropped off or a fuse blown to some part of the starting system. as it is we have had to have the car towed to the local garage to fix.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.
Hi..there..

Well as you'll understand we always have to start off with the obvious first any garage/mechanic would carry that out as per the "situation as you describe there" in your post hence being the first port of call..Also it would be pretty rare or impossible for cable to pop off or maybe a fuse to suddenly blow due to having the radio/doors open as such for cleaning etc - never encountered it myself,unless that cleaning was in the vicinity of wiring under the dash etc that may of happened.or cleaning fluid/spray if used may have got into areas such as the ignition/dash column area..but however if its now already at garage then hopefully they do get it sorted for you...best of luck Robert