Mike, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert

we have a 2007 2.0 turbo diesel mitsubishi grandis which is

we have a 2007 2.0 turbo diesel mitsubishi grandis which is giving us bother.the engine is no longer running smoothly but 'pinks' every few seconds and will not go above 2000 revs. it has been through a volkswagon diagnostic computer programme which showed no fault
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

am happy to wait for a while longer if it means that my problem may be solved

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help..

I do just need to ask a few things to progress with this -

What is the mileage ?

What is its general service / recent repair history ?

Do you get / have any fault lights on the dash at all when driving?

Does the engine "bog down" - hold back at 2000 rpm... or how would you describe it?

What sort of garage did the "tests" for you ?

What if anything has been done, parts replaced / tried etc , in a bid to cure this - ?

Lastly - how long has this been going on?

Rgds, MIKE..................................................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the mileage is 160,000 km and the car is serviced very regularly. there has never been any fault lights showing up on the dash - no warning light of any kind. if you accelerate gradually the fault seldom shows, but if you put your foot down any way hard it gets very bad and doesn't accelerate properly - at all times it won't go much over 80kph. the fault started just before christmas so in the new year it was serviced by a local garage who couldn,t locate the fault. two weeks ago and again this week it went into a diagnostics and service garage - they have all the specialist equipment for citroen, renault, peugeot and volkswagon. as the grandis has a volkswagon engine we put it in there but on neither occasion could they find a fault. nothing has been replaced to try and solve this - just the usual filters etc at the service.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again -

Thank you for your reply and further info there... that is very helpful.

When you get "pinking" in a diesel engine such as you have - the common causes for this are :

Contamination of the fuel / diesel / diesel system
Blocking of the fuel supply / ie, filters - lines etc -
Injector "blow by" - ie, the seals leaking on the injectors ( unseen often to the eye)
Cam or crank sensor faults.
Faults with the wiring -to the injectors / pump etc.
Faulty or fouled injector/s.

So that is a list that your garage needs to investigate / check through. On the face of it from what you have said, you can rule some of them out already...

I actually think you will find the fault is with the injector/s - and in the absence of any faults being shown on diagnostic tests - plug in tests, then the next move is to have the fuel system / pump and injectors properly tested.. A leak of test / pressure test would be the first and then move on from there.

This takes special equipment -not all garages have this equipment so you may find you need to find a garage that does - that is needed now at this stage.. whatever garage you use. Most garages, even dealers , will send such vehicles with these issues to diesel specialists - as they have all the equipment needed for the test and successful fault finding / repair work on these.. remembering , plug in equipment will not often highlight such faults as you have.

So thats the way forward on this one now to get this sorted for you for sure.

Let me know how you get on - or by all means get back to me if you need anything else at all...

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert