Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

Why is my mitsubishi l200 so hard to start

Customer Question

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Ones started and engine is warm is it then easy to start or hard to start when ever hot or cold ..

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apologies for the delay but my computer crashed. In reply to your question the Mitsubishi is more difficult to start when warm. Please could you come back to me as soon as possible as I have had to leave the pick up with the garage.

Regards Brendan

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brendan

Is the exhaust smoking when you drive if so what colour .

After you get her started when hot what colour smoke comes out the exhaust .

Have you noticed the starter turns the engine slower when hot .

How many miles do you have on this engine ,has the timing belt been replaced ,this should be done every 60.000 miles.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The exhaust does not smoke when driven.

The smoke is clear after starting.

The starter is not slower when hot.

The mileage is 79,000 and the timing belt has not been replaced at 60,000.

Many thanks, Brendan

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brendan .

On the left side firewall just under the intercooler is the fuel filter with a priming pump , next time you have a hard start pump on this until hard then try and start .

Let me know if this works.

You said smoke clears after starting what color was the smoke when she started .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg,

Have already tested the priming pump prior to installing the non return valve in the fuel pipe. Timing belt has now been changed along with a number of other items. The car should be finished tonight but held for testing until tomorrow. Hopefully, everything will then be in order. I will keep you posted and thanks for your ongoing input.

Regards, Brendan

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brendan.

Thank you for getting back and if yoiu still have issue then please get back to me .

If the car was hard to start when cold i would also check the glow plug system ,even when warm the glow plugs should come on for a few seconds have them double check this for you .

Rgds greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg,

Have got the pick up back from the garage. They have also fitted engine temperature switch as it was giving an incorrect reading. Have already changed the glow plugs - it was one of the first things we did. The pick up is still erratic in starting. It is still okay starting from cold but erratic in starting when warm. The mechanic suggested we run it for four or five days and see how it settles. If not satisfactory the next step is the fuel pump. We are very satisfied with your service but have not been asked to give you a rating yet.

Regards Brendan

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brendan .

One more thing i would like the shop to do is a hot compression test
Like to see what this is as you may have a warn out engine .these engines are known to give this problem after 130.000km .from the engine built from 1999 - 2002.

Need further assistance then please come back to this page ,

Kindest regards Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience: All Japan made models
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg,

I have the car back as I need it. The car is not starting as easily as I would like it to. However, I will not be putting back in for another couple of weeks at which time I will give your latest advice to the mechanic.

Many thanks,

Brendan

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Brendan .

Keep me posted .

Cheers Greg