Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 1998 l200....2-5 diesel double cad fwd pickup . It

Customer Question

I have a 1998 l200....2-5 diesel double cad fwd pickup .
It needs replacement rear axle but how do I no what ratio it is for replacement.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I do need an answer to my question so I purchase the. Correct replacement rear axle for my old l200.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

The identification it would be on the rear differential. Probably covered in 17 years worth of road grime.

Is this a 2wd or 4wd L200?

Locking or not?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

ideally there should be a tag on the diff to identify the ratio. That is THE BEST way to know unless your the original owner.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Ideally the non locking 2wd models would have a 4.222 ratio.

Most L200 have the locking diff though and were equipped with the 4.875

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a 4wd or 4x4 and dose not have locking diff. It is a 1998 2.5 turbo diesel intercooler double cab. I believe it's a generation two...

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Should be 4.875 then, but like I said check the diff.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No sticker or marking on diff anywhere. Can't find any identifying marks etc on diff.that's why I was asking how else to find out.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Well if 4wd it's 4.636 or 4.875 for a 3rd gen like yours.

Non flare models 4.636

Flare models (wide tyres) 4.875

If still uncertain you would need to count your splines (teeth)