Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2002 Shogun LWB. When the brake peddle is depressed

I have a 2002 Shogun LWB. When the brake peddle is depressed lightly the brakes give way haltingly, similar to when the antilock system is deployed. When pressed more heavily the brake acts as normal. Can you suggest what is wrong?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, wanted to check and see if you still needed help.

Let me know please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I asked a question last night and am still awaiting an answer. I have given all the information that I can. Please respond.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

I would love to help but i am having a hard time understanding your symptoms.

Are you saying under light braking you get the brake then release type feeling associated with ABS or are you saying barely braking causes a harsh jerking stop?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Light braking causes the feeling like the ABS anti wheel lock system is working. You feel you are braking then its released then you are braking again, this is repeated until you stop. If however you press hard on the brake, the brake operates normally.

Hope that clears any confusion.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Yes, that helps significantly.

Assuming that you are not getting any ACTUAL ABS activation, meaning you don't HEAR the pump running (buzzing), then I would start by inspecting the front rotors and pads for any warping or obvious defects.

The symptom your referring to would be called a brake pulsing and is usually only caused by warped or damaged rotors, but can also be caused uneven braking from a sticking slide pin (although very uncommon to pulse).

So In my opionion, start with the front brake inspection and go from there.