mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

We are in France with a Mitsubishi icar (4 door) and the

Customer Question

We are in France with a Mitsubishi icar (4 door) and the engine warning light keeps coming on and we loose a lot of power. We can keep going if we apply the minimum pressure to the accelerator, but steep hills are a problem. We have so far spent 300 euros at two different garages, both of whom claimed to have fixed it but the trouble came back. Today we went slowly to a Mitsubishi garage fifty miles away, who said as the car had never been imported into France they did not have a diagnostic programme for their computer, so could do nothing. I wonderd if you could take an informed guess at the problem so I could brief a local mechanic where to look and perhaps what to do.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Hey there, wanted to check and see if you still needed help.

From your description it seems all your problems occur under load correct? ligth acceleration and cruising operation seems to be fine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The engine warning light comes on. Then if you accelerate hard, instead of going faster the engine fades and you loose power and speed. If you then take your foot off the accelerator the engine picks up again and you can continue with a light pressure on the accelerator. I have found however if you stop and rest the car for 5 minutes, and then start again without applying hard acceleration, the warning light does not come on and you can proceed at a moderate speed. However if you come to a steep hill, where extra accelerator pressure is needed, there is a danger

that you will loose all power.

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Thanks do you have a way to get the code read from the warning light?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Thanks well generally an acceleration fault like those is an electric control related issue. Without the code there's just not enough problems with the miev cars up to date to recall any common faults similar to what your seeing.
Let me re-open this question to see if we can find anyone a bit more familiar with you car.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What does "re-open this question" mean ? Are you going to do more research, as at the moment I am no nearer an answer ? Its a real problem with these modern cars !

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
It simply means to offer this question to other experts other than me who may be more familiar with the miev model.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jake ............. any progress from the other experts ? If not I would like my 15 euros back please ...... Martin XXXXXXXX