Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Hi I am a complete amateur when it comes to anything mechanical

Customer Question

I am a complete amateur when it comes to anything mechanical so would appreciate your advice

I have a 57 plate lancer sport estate with 92k on the clock. Last October I had the cambelt replaced by an independant mechanic and since then the car has been severely under powered and noisy over 75mph. The car has now developed severe rumbling from the engine compartment when driven bit not when at a stop or in neutral. The tyres are balanced and at the correct pressure. I don't believe it is related to the tyres but could it be something to do with power delivery to the wheels?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, are you still needing assistance with this?

You feel like you lose power at high RPM's?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jake

Yes the car is ok up to about 2000rpm then when it gets to about 45mph it seems like the car is under geared and performing. It then gets very droney as i speed up. The revs are ok it just seems like the power isn't there. I thought it might be something to do with transmission
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX concern is that it happened immediately after the timing belt change. Power loss under load could be an indication that it's off a tooth.

I mean if you have been drivign it this long though, that may not be the case if you have no starting issues or anything associated with this, and the power loss is more recent.

How does the car feel in neutral if you rev it? the same or different?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jake

The car revs perfectly normal when in neutral.

The noise and underpowered problem seems to happen after 3000rpm. It then gets very noisy. Iv never pushed the car over 80mph because of the heavy droning. This seems to come from the area from the rear of the engine through the centre of the car. Could it be coming from a drive shaft? I'm not sure if the car is front or rear wheel drive.
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Your model should front wheel drive only.

The noise could be coming from a wheel bearing if it's a loud roaring/droning sound.

The fact that it revs fine in neutral lets us know it's not timing related though.