mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Having problems with my 07 animal. (new shape) When driving

Customer Question

Having problems with my 07 animal. (new shape)

When driving the engine fluctuates. (let me try and explain the best i can)

If it was a petrol engine you would probably change a spark plug or ht lead.

its almost like being starved of fuel every 4 seconds.

When i accelerate and hold the pedal its as if i am deliberately pumping the throttle pedal causing the vehicle to bunny hop.

I have sent it to a Mitsubishi garage but the computer says no faults. I have had the fuel tank flushed, the injection system cleaned, filters changed, its even had a new head gasket fitted last year.

The problem started last year around Feb and has always been there in the background ever since but seemed to disapear for a month or two then return in the background again until recently when it came back with a vengeance.

Recently its really bad and even died when i try to floor it, which resulted in a total lack of power. I pulled over switched it off then re started, with the problem still there and drove home.

It is now driving me insane. Please help

Dave.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

All the lights go out after you have started the engine and no lights come on when it is running.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave .

Thank you , what is the mileage on this engine, and do you have the 4M40 engine or the 4D56 .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi greg

The milage is 124148

its the 4d56 di-d d/c

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi greg

The milage is 124148

its the 4d56u di-d d/c

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave .

Best and cheapest thing i suggest you do even if you had the fuel filter replaced 4 months ago at the last service i would change this part first
just to be sure .

I take it the check engine light is not on when the engine is running and also does not intermittently flash at the same time you are having this problem ..

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

All seems ok, the diagnostics came up blank with no faults showing at mitsibishi. That was about september last year. I have listed all the items i have had done to try and rectify this problem below:

Fuel filter changed

Tank flushed

All fuel lines cleaned

Additive in fuel to clean injectors

Throttle body changed

Disconnected and re connected the factory fitted power upgrade chip

Changed the EGR Valve

All filters changed Feb this yr on its service.

I have also had a new head gasket August last year.

When i disconnected the power upgrade chip the engine ran ok then the problem started again, then i re connected the chip and the problem went away for a while then started again, when i changed the EGR valve the problem went again but returned after a couple of weeks,

Do you see the problem.

It is now driving me insane, so i dont think by changing the fuel filter again will solve the problem. Its something that hasnt been tried yet.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave.

Do you have access to a scan tool to check live data reading ,
You may have a bad MAF sensor would like to see readings at idle and also at 2000rpm .

Then a compression test i would surly do as this engine is known to loose compression around the mileage you have.

Greg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

whats a MAF sensor and what does it do

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Whats an MAF sensor and what does it do??

The pressure test on each cylinder was done when the head gasket was done and all was good

Im not being funny but looking at the symptoms and the steps i have taken so far, with your experience have you come across this type of problem before or are you just having a guess at what it could be??

I have just been down with the vehicle and held the throttle @ 2000 revs. The sound of the engine is raising slightly then lowering slightly either side of the 2000 rev mark on the rev counter constantly, giving that pulsating sound i first tried to explain

are you sure its nothing to do with the fuel side, a faulty injector or something as i did notice a discharge of smoke whilst under load.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The pressure test on each cylinder was done when the head

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
gasket was done and all was good

Im not being funny but looking at the symptoms and the steps

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
i have taken so far, with your experience have you come across this type of problem before or are you just having a guess at what it could be??

I have just been down with the vehicle

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
and held the throttle @ 2000 revs. The sound of the engine is raising slightly then lowering slightly either side of the 2000 rev mark on the rev counter constantly, giving that pulsating sound i first tried to explain

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave .

Normally i would have said the SCV stuck in the Supply pump,.

Check Fuel pressure control system for abnormality, this can be read with a good scan tool in live data , Live data is used to check data that could be on the boarder line from setting a code, like a maf sensor or one of the sensors . don't think this is an injector problem .

I think the SCV valve should first be checked .

What diagnostic scan tool was used .

Rgds Greg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg

I dont know as the vehicle was in the workshop of the Mitsubishi garage.

What do you suggest i do first.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave.

Have them do a fuel pressure test and fuel leak down test .

Ask them to check the possibility of having a weak SCV valve .

What colour was the exhaust smoke .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg

I dont know as the vehicle

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
was in the workshop of the Mitsubishi garage.

What do you suggest i do first.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dave i can not see the attachments you have attached .

Greg