Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a Mitsubishi pajero 2001 model 3.2L DI-D. The engine

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi pajero 2001 model 3.2L DI-D. The engine runs perfect until it gets to working temp. ,then the engine would not idle. It is a automatic ,so if you take your foot of the accelerator pedal the engine stall.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hi there thanks for the question .

I assume the vehicle drives fine? Only issue is releasing the throttle causes the engine to stall?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It runs well. I was on a long trip with a heavy load and the engine was running above the normal temp.( not overheating or any alarms). I stopped the car, let it cool down and replaced the coolant .It did not happen again. Shortly after that the problem started with the throttle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you get my reply?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jake,

Sorry to ask you again , I have communication issues on this side of the world, but I need to know if you are getting my emails?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the replies, sorry for my delay.

The first thing I would do considering it only happens at idle is check the throttle and clean it thoroughly. Especially since the battery was disconnected, because idle adaptations are lost and if the throttle is dirty it will cause it stall or run very poorly at idle.

Once we can confirm the heartless is clean we can go from there.

Let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you mean by the throttle? Is it the mechanism by the pedal or the Butterfly(throttle body) at the intake?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the throttle body at the intake manifold.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cleaned the throttle body , not too dirty.

Still the same.

The engine idles good when it is cold but once it gets to working temp (+/- 80 c) it cuts out when in idle.

At speed the car runs perfect.

What is next?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, does the fuel consumption seem to be poor also?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes , I use to get about 10km/ Litre. Now I am down 7km/Litre. I assumed it had to do with the load I had on the car.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Both the excess fuel consumption and stalling at idle could be related to an air leak or MAF operation.

Ideally you will need a scan tool to evaluate fuel trims.

Do you have access to one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I don't. Will it help if I just clean the MAF? Where can I look for the air leaks?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Cleaning the MAF may help so certainly try it.

One of my favorite ways to check for exhaust leaks is witha smoke test, but you can also spray brake cleaner around the intake mating surfaces.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jake,

I found the problem. The TPS was faulty .I am still not sure why it packed up but it is working now.

Thank You for Your help.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey your very welcome. Thank you for following up.

If you need anything else let me know.

If not a kind rating is always appreciated.