Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi, I had a timing fitted by a garage in January but its

Customer Question

I had a timing fitted by a garage in January but its gone are the garage liable for it?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

If the timing belt has been done this year January..then in a sense it possible they would be liable depending on how its actually failed.that needs to be investigated first.what parts where not replaced when they should have done during a belt change.or wither its been due to poor workman ship on installing the belt..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert

He said he is trying to replace the Cambelt but I am sure other parts are damaged now its crazy.

The garage is Brydens Garage in Leeds please keep this information confidentially.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there

What Make/Model of vehicle aswell as Year and Engine do you have here?

Was it just the cambelt on its own replaced before this failure happened,was anything else replaced at the same time? you should see this noted down with any job sheet/receipt from when it was replaced first time around?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert

It was just the Cambelt and they replaced it in January nothing else was replaced.They have a meal of it I was driving on the M1 and it went

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..Sam - thanks for your reply..

Yes well if "just the belt on its own" was replaced and nothing else that belt drives was replaced at the same time then its normally bad practice not to replace for example tensioner/water pump if driven by that belt too.. - but if you could tell me what Mitsubishi Model of Car and the Year and Engine you have? i'll have better idea what car where talking about and the belt replacement procedure aswell as possible damage that may of occurred..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Robert,

Its a mitsubishi 1584 cc Space Star petrol Registration in 2003 petrol

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..Sam sorry for the delay..

Ok..Thats the 1.6 engine - The only part that should be replaced at the same time as your timing belt is the Tensioner..The belt fitting itself is simple - as it doesnt require any locking tools - However sadly this engine classed as an interference engine the 1.6 petrol - 4G18 engine code..which means if the belt snaps or slips off then you would likely suffer valve to piston contact damage on the engine..the only way to know that for sure is re-time the engine back up and then do either compression test/or cylinder leakage test before stripping down..that would confirm for sure any damage caused..so be it a simple belt to replace i find it kind of difficult to know why that belt failed unless it was improper fiting by the garage - too tight,too slack/the tensioner slowly free up and caused the belt to loosen off - timing belt dont tend to fail prematurely unless or there is another problem with the engine mechanically that put alot of stress on tha belt..I do hope this helps..If you need ask anything else then just ask/continue before you rate