Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119
Mitsubishi

Hi, I have a 2000 plate, 3.2 did swb shogun/pajero 4m41. It

I have a 2000 plate... Show More
I have a 2000 plate, 3.2 did swb shogun/pajero 4m41. It has the dreaded fuel filler pipe rust problem. Engine was cutting out and white smoking.

So dropped the tank, drained it, fitted new filler pipe, cleaned out the fuel pipes to the pump, replaced the fuel filter, primed it... but now as the engine turns over it wont start. It seems to be trying to. Only way i can get it to run (for a few seconds is by spraying easy start in to the intake).

I thought that the high pressure fuel pump might be air locked, so cracked open the pipes to the injectors (where they go into the cam cover) and turned the engine over a few times, no sign of fuel, or it starting.

Just to recap, it was starting fine before i removed the tank, all be it smokey and stuttery..

Your help is much appreciated, what would you suggest?
Category: Mitsubishi
Show Less
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
replied 2 years ago.

Jake : Hi there, thanks for the question.
Jake : The obvious thing I notice here is the no fuel to the rail.
Jake : This can only mean a couple of different things.
Jake : Either the pump is not running, be it power to the pump or a bad connection or damaged wire during removal.
Jake : Or you have a pinched feed line
Jake : if you remove the fuel filler cap, can you heAr the pump turn on to prime the line?
Jake : Let me know please
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for your reply.

The car isn't a common rail, individual supply from high pressure pump to each injector. No in tank pump either, just a gauze pick up the the high pressure pump draws from. Instead there is a hand pump in the engine bay on top of the fuel filter.

Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for clarification.

Using the hand pump to prime, you has no issues bleeding air to the filter?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

Plenty of flow from the prime pump, yes bled easy.

Hey there, good. Sorry for the delay!

Now the vehicle was running a bit rough? But still ran prior to tank removal right?

Since the hand pump primes easily I am more concerned double checking your work and making sure no lines for the injection pump were some how damaged. I'd. Also check the connector and both vacuum at the IP.

It's not entirely common for the IP to lose a prime, but generally you can at least get it started and it will stumble out.

Customer reply replied 2 years ago.

When you say IP is the internal pump?

I've had a funnel hooked up direct to the high pressure pump in the engine bay, had someone turn the engine over for 30secs (on the starter motor, not with the engine running itself) and it doesn't use the fuel, doesn't suck it, literally same level in the funnel.

Why would the pump not draw the fuel? Immobiliser issue?

So I can check the wiring, what should I expect to get at the loom to the pump?

Well a damaged line drawing air into it would prevent the lift pump from drawing fuel from the tank.

When the key is to ON, you shoul get a click at the pump at battery voltage.