Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

06 colt dsl 1.5 auto engine management light is on and when

06 colt dsl 1.5 auto engine management light is on and when checked on computer it is saying electrical transmission fault what might this be thank you
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

Do you have the actual fault code that was stored?

Are you having any shifting problems or starting problems?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the code is saying electrical mechanism and it is hard to start as the selector is not showing n fast enough and it seems like a bad connection on a battery thank you look forward to hearing from you

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

This sounds like you have an issue with the PNP switch on the side of the gearbox. This sensor/switch let's the TCM know the gear position for starting and drive sequence. While this is an electrical fault it normally presents a specific code. That's what I was hoping you could provide.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the code is on the diagnostic tool is saying transmission control electrical

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
I was looking for the P code, NOT the code description as different tools vary from dealer equipment on occasion. The P code would look like this P0720 for instance.

Anyways I'm not too concerned with the code anymore with your great description of the symptoms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so far but can can you tell me what I need to do to rectify the problem

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.
Replace the PNP switch on the transmission.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry jake for not replying sooner but I was away where do you think the cheapest place to get this switch thank you matt ireland

Expert:  Jake replied 3 years ago.

I don't think the switch is available anywhere but the dealership if your looking for a NEW part.

There's always ebay ect for used parts, but I would recommend a new part.