Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My 2008colt Di-D CZ2s mpg metre gives constant, random readings

Customer Question

My 2008colt Di-D CZ2's mpg metre gives constant, random readings AND sometimes my key don't remotely open or close the doors, why?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Hi there, Jake here.

Could you elaborate more on the "random" readings?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The mpg figure is never the same for more than 2 or 3 seconds. It constantly gives readings from the teens up to 99.9mpg! The figure is only diplayed for a few seconds then a new, random figure appears.

This behaviour only started in the last 4 weeks at the same time as the dashboard illumination became intermittent, it would go out but the engine continued to run and the key stopped locking and unlocking the doors intermittently!

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, the gas mileage readings should have 2 different options where you can display the avg or live mpg readings. The live readings change with engine vacuum so they are all over the place.

The other problems have me concerned with the ETACS Unit though. The only thing the ILL and locks really have in common is the ETACS unit and the fact that they intermittent instead of completely in operational lets us know were not looking at a fuse issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know about the 2 types of mpg recording. My car's mpg changes randomly even when going along a flat road at a constant speed. The numbers displayed bear no relation to driving conditions. There is something wrong with the display and I want to know how to fix it.

With the key/door/ dashboard light problem my wife informs me that it is a not a key problem as it works fine when the electrics are working. It is the electrical problem I want to identify. Please tell me what the ETACS unit is and where it is, and what you mean by the ILL. Cheers Chris

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Can we work on this some tomorrow? Been at a wedding today sorry.