Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

when I break a timing chain what damage have I done ?

Customer Question

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there sorry for the delay..

Hopefully i can help..

You dont say what model of car or engine you have - but if as you say the Timing chanin has broken then its not very good news as most if not all timing chain driven engines are interference which means you will have likely cause internal damage/valve to piston damage as well as damage to chain sprockets..alot of times the engine being rendered as scrap..i do hope this helps..if you need to ask anything else or include anything further then just continue before you rate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that. It's a Mitsubishi pajero long wheel base. 3.2 diesel. A noise was noted during the day it broke down and it continued to be driven until it stopped up completely.

Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok.so that will be the 3.2DID.Only way to know if the chains broke is to take the rocker off and inspect the top end and chain to both sprockets and see if it slack or loose.check for lack of oil or oil starvation which the chain heavily relays on for constant lubrication.a swell as for any damage to the top end valve train..which is likely if the chains broken - usually with any chain breakage it doesn't often just "snap" without some sort of well advanced pre warning in regards ***** ***** chain noise at start up/misfiring/timing issues due to the chain stretching and cause the cam/crank timing to shift..sometimes this can throw up a fault code if the cam/crank sensor see a misalignment...if it has just suddenly snapped..then i would be looking at something pretty major has gone wrong with the engine internally maybe or the chain tensioner or chain guides has failed..but as far as failed timing chains go..often its best just to fit a good second hand engine - as the damage to the old one would be in terms of uneconomical to repair if damage is severe internally.But as above you need to verify the chain has actually failed id say just in case the problem isn't elsewhere.I do hope this helps