mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

The air conditioning unit on my Shogun Sport has stopped working.

The air conditioning unit on my Shogun Sport has stopped working. This also happened about 18 months ago and the Mitsubishi dealer fixed it when it was in for its annual service. I can't remember the exact details of what was wrong but it was not major and there was nothing itemised on the bill and no parts changed. I have a feeling that it was something to do with a tray being full of water or some such thing, but cannot be certain.
Are there any quick checks that I could do myself as the dealer is about 60 miles away and I don't want to make a special trip for something which is easily fixed. Thanks.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  mike_a_mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing what the dealer did before was recharged the a/c system with Freon, however when the system has to be recharged that means that there is a slow leak. The system likely needs to be recharged again and this will require a/c gages. Any shop can recharge the system, it doesn't have to be the dealer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,
It wasn't recharged with Freon as they would have charged for that. I remember that when I asked them about it being fixed they said that it was a really easy fix and there was no charge. I recollect that it was something to do with something being full of water and that it was just a case of emptying this and all was well.
The only part that is related to the a/c system that will fill with water on this vehicle is the evaporator core box that sits under the dashboard, this would be from the a/c drain becoming restricted and backing up in to the box, the box then would need to be opened to manually drain the water.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,
This sounds exactly right. Where exactly is the evaporator core box under the dashboard?
This will be under the right side of the dash, it's a big plastic box there will be screws for the access panel to drain the water. You will need to lay down on that side to see it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,
I've just had look and I can't see any big plastic box. Do I need to take off the lower dash panel to the right of the steering wheel?
Yes remove that panel and also the panel on the passenger side as in some models it was placed on the other side.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike,
This is going to seem like a really dumb question, but there are plastic "screws" holding on a plastic cover on the passenger side. Only the middle of the screw is just a circle. How do these come off? Is there a special tool?
These just pop off, you can use a flat head screwdriver to gently pop them off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Easy, really!!

However, I have taken off the covers on both sides and can see no big plastic box.

The box is under the dash, it should be accessible, can you take a photo of the area and upload it for me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It was too dark by the time that I received yourr reply about taking a photo andd I was not home until late last night. I will take a photo tonight when I get home and send it to you.

No problem, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1
Hi Mike,

Please find attached the first photo. Can you confirm that it has come through ok as there are another 10 to send.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Hi Mike,

I think that this what you are meaning. It is on the passenger side. But it is not obvious how to remove it. Can you please confirm that this is the box?

Ok the second photo that you sent is the blower motor, you can remove the screws in the blower motor and it will drop down then stick your hand in the hole and feel for water. If you do not feel water the drain is not the issue. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I thought that I had replied last night but I can't see the trail. It was getting too dark by the time I picked up your comment above. I take it that the box is the white plastic behind the motor - see photo below.

Yes that is correct, if the water building up was the problem you would feel the moisture around the motor.
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike,

There is no moisture around the motor and given the weather that we are having I doubt if any moisture would remain for long, so I would doubt that the box will hold any water.

I think that I have eliminated any quick fix solution as per the last time and will have to take it in to a garage to get sorted.

Thanks very much for all of your help. You answered my questions fully.

No problem, thank you.