Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

I have a Mitsubishi shotgun 3.2 auto it changes up and down

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi shotgun 3.2 auto it changes up and down the gears sticks in 3 rd gear and neutral light comes on I disconnect the battery for a few mins its ok for a couple of days again .the same thing happens again
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
COLOR=BLUE]Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

This is having a transmission malfunction ,this is why the N lights up to let you know that a malfunction code has been stored in the transmission management system .

All you need to do now is find a shop that works on Mitsubishi and has the needed scan tool to check for trans malfunction codes ,from the codes this will put you onto the right road for a easy repair .

With the problem you are having is normally an issue with the input/output sensor on the transmission ,but a diagnostic scan will confirm this for you .

When you disconnect the battery you are clearing all malfunction codes .this will make the transmission think that tall system are functioning correctly .until the management system comes across the faulty sensor on it regular checks.

Please get back to me for further assistance, please use the reply button and not the poor or bad service ,this way i can get back to you or refer you to another expert if needed. After accepting you can still get back to me and there is no further charge

Kindest regards Greg.

Greg, All import japan models
Experience: All Japan made models
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

HELLO GREG I WENT TO MITSUBUSHI GARAGE GOT MY JEEP PLUGGED IN THEY COULDNT FIND ANY FAULTS THEY SAID THERE WAS TO MUCH OIL IN GEARBOX THERE WAS OVER HALF LITRE TO MUCH THE JEEP IS STUCK IN THIRD GEAR AND NEUTRAL LIGHT ON .THE AT LIGHT IS COMING .

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

Okay you have to drain out fliud, this can cause more problems than not having enough
fluid in the systemas a transmission overfilled will build to much pressure and possibilitys of blowing solenoid seals are high.

Onces you have ther correct level then disconnect the battery for 10 minutes ,thn reconnect and test drive .

Then let me know what happens .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I DONE THAT EARLIER AND I WENT FOR A TEST DRIVE ITS THE SAME WAY AGAIN

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi John .

You will have to get the pressure lines tested at a good transmission shop or the dealer.

Looks like you may have a bad pressure line .

Where did you go to get the diagnostic code scan .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I WENT TO A MITSUBUSHI DEALER THEY DONE A FULL DIAGNOSTIC CHECK THEY SAID THEY CAN DO NO MORE FOR ME IN THERE GARAGE I THINK I WIL TRY GET SECOND HAND OR RE CONDITIONED BOX THANKS FOR YOUR HELP . JOHN.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi John .

Don't rush is maybe just a blown seal.

Find a good transmission shop and let them have a look and do a diagnostic check
you may save a fortune .

Lets look at it like this ,

The trans works okay until the Trans warning light comes ON .
As soon as the light comes on this is telling the management system
that there is a malfunction within the transmission ,this could be just a simple input or output speed sensor .

I don't want to see you change the transmission and then only to see you have the same problem .??

So check out a good Transmission shop and get them to do a good diagnostic check .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I HAVE CHANGED THE OIL AND FILTER 3 TIMES IN THE GEARBOX AND IT IS DARK GREY AGAIN.THERE IS A BAD SMEL FROM THE BOX WHEN I PULL UP LIKE ITS ON FIRE .

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi John .

Should of said this before, if the fluid is turning grey then you have internal damaged the grey is metal particles floating in the fluid turning it grey, and with you having so much friction in the transmission rubbing metal parts. will overheat the box .

Yes go ahead and replace, and make sure you clean/flush out the transmission oil cooler in the coolant radiator. otherwise you will contaminate the new transmission .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your help .john

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Yiur welcome John ,

Thank you for using justanswer.

Kindest regards Greg.