mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Mitsubishi galant timing belt problems

Customer Question

Hello, I have replaced the timing belt on my Mitsubishi Galant 2002 2.5 v6 ( engine code: 6a13) by following the instructions in the manual ( I have replaced timing belts before so not a novice). However, the engine now sounds terrible, somewhat like an old diesel engine but with a metal hammering sound. I have checked and checked before and after to make sure that the timing marks on the pulleys and crankshaft are correctly aligned which they are. Tension and tensioner is also correct and working, I haven't fitted on any of the auxiliary belts nor their pulley due to this problem. One thing I have noticed, is at the crankshaft the angle sensor disk is running freely, i.e. I can spin it by hand without the crankshaft moving. I have no idea why my engine is running like this now so I need help.

EDIT: I have sorted out the speed sensor so it runs a little better now. However, the hammering sound is still there and gets louder the more the engine revs.

Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Can you do a compression test .

Remove all plugs and get me the compression readings of each cylinder .

The knocking could be a valve as this is a close interferance engine .

I will post below a timing diagram just to be sure you have set yours up correctly .

graphic

graphic

graphic

Rgds Greg