mike_a_mechanic
mike_a_mechanic, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

2 off 2.5TD Pajero's both

Customer Question

2 off 2.5TD Pajero's both 4D56 engines one 1991 other 1993. 1991 used as spares. Head cracked on 1993 so took head off 1991.
The head on 1991 was relatively new after market head and was running well but had history. On initially fitting head gasket went again and on stripping it was found that the plugs over the firing chambers had not been fitted properly and had moved. They were reseated and staked to stop them moving and head skimmed about 0.5mm. This worked perfectly and engine ran well.
Fitted this head to 1993 Pag and after setting the timing you could only turn the engine forward a couple of degrees before it hit the valves. Released the rocker shaft and it turned OK. Only way to get it to turn is to set cam retarded by one tooth i.e. 7.5 degrees retarded.
This is not the first time I have timed this engine as I have fitted new belts as a precaution when it was purchased so I doubt there are other problems with timing.
The head gasket used on 1991 rebuild was the old style fabric type with fire rings. the 1993 build used a three part steel gasket.
So presumably there is a minor manufacturing variation on the engines or the old gasket finishes slightly thicker after fitting than the steel.
Problem is how to overcome without purchasing a new head and effectively doubling the value of the vehicle.
Had thought of purchasing two steel gaskets and taking the middle flat steel plate out of on and adding it to the other to make a four ply gasket, reseating the valves by 0.5mm, taking 0.5mm off the face of the valves or deepening the pockets on the pistons by 0.5mm (not easy with them installed). Looking at the valve timing it looks like the inlet is opening faster than the piston is returning an catching the valve.
Both heads are the protruding valve type.
BarryXXX
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Barry,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not been able to find an answer so please keep trying.

I have one avenue to explore tomorrow but so far the only suggestion I have had is to buy another cylinder head but that is quite an expensive option.

Barry XXXX

Hello Barry,
Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We have Professionals online all the time, unfortunately they may not have the experience needed to assist you. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Hello Barry,
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please close question though rather disappointed that it was not possible to get an answer.

Having paid for the service I feel I have not had value for money and have lost faith in it's ability to answer future questions.

Barry XXX/p>