Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

I have just purchased a second hand Delica L300. My question

Customer Question

I have just purchased a second hand Delica L300. My question is about overdrive. If not engaged all seems smooth. When engaged is smooth to 60 mph ish and then rumbles. This is less noticeable at 70. Is the Overdrive in the auto box? Is it in the transfer box? Is it on its own? The reason is I would like to add an additive to make it smoother so not sure whether it has its own oil or shares with the adjacent box.
Look forward to your help
Peter
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Peter,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal

I am happy to wait for the Mitsubishi engineer to answer the question.

Peter

Hello Peter,
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

If you switch the overdrive off does it still rumble when you get to 60.

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg

It appears to be rumble free at 60 with the overdrive off. My only experience with overdrives is Landrover GKN add ons. This was I assume a standard for overdrives using planet gearing. Is the Mitsubishi system the same?

Peter

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
automatic transmission .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Greg

No problem. As soon as the question is answered I will rate your service as excellent.

Look forward to further communications.

The crux of the original question is:-

Is the overdrive separate in its own oil or is it part of the auto box (running in transmission fluid) or part of the transfer box running in gear oil.

Cheers

Peter

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Peter.

Overdrive on this transmission is all one unit 1.2.3.and overdrive .

To be sure do you know what ATF fluid was used.. as this box has to have Mitsubihi SPIII fluid anyother will cause you issue like you are having .

Genuine Mitsubishi Diaqueen SPIII SP3 Transmission Fluid

Do you have any transmission malfunction codes ,check for codes if not already done .

I would honestly do a fluid change and refill with original fluid and take it from there ..

The mitsubishi transmission don't like any other fluid like the regula mercon , dexron ..

And then add a small tube of Dr transmission

Please get back to me with the reply button and not the poor or bad service rating , so i can get back to you with further assistance with this issue or offer assistance with another expert .
Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Greg

No malfuction codes as this set up predates ECU's. There was slight shudder from the torque converter so an additive was purchased and added. The torque converter is now smooth. I have checked at 60 in overdrive to see if the vibration disappears on deceleration and it doesn't. So, the torque converter / fluid is not to blame. This brings me back to the overdrive unit. Can you confirm it sits in the transmission fluid? It appears to be a separate unit sitting between the auto box and transfer box. Hence my question does it share fluid with either of these. As you know without overdrive engaged the planet wheels are turning but not under load. Engaging overdrive puts on the load and as the outer gear of the planet may be the casing in which it revolves there could be a noisy bearing showing up under load. So I am tempted to drop the whole lot and split the boxes to examine. Is this what you would recommend?

Peter