Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

our 2007 colt with 1.3 petrol engine and semi-auto transmission

Customer Question

our 2007 colt with 1.3 petrol engine and semi-auto transmission suddenly started a loud clatter from the engine (when already warmed up), after a short burst of revs to about 3000 rpm. Several times it appeared and went away again, but last time it kept on doing it after we had stopped with the engine idling, so I shut it down and called the AA. The patrolman listened to it for a few minutes, it was coming from the top of the engine. It started to go quieter, so he said to drive to our local dealer and he would follow, just in case. By the time we got there (about 8 miles), it had gone away again. The service dept. tested it but it would not reappear so they couldn't do anything. (We had just had the car serviced a week before, and had mentioned that we had got this problem). We haven't heard it again, yet, but I am worried. Any idea why this happens, and if anything needs to be done?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Jake :

Hi there, anytime your getting a loud intermittent clatter from the top of the engine you have to be concerned of the possibility of a timing chain issue

Jake :

a loose guide or weak tensioner can cause a clattering against the chain.

Jake :

now if you listen with a stethoscope and find that the noise is NOT behind the top of the front cover and actually coming from the valve cover area then you would need to inspect further and possibly remove the cover and inspect.

Jake :

if you still need help though let me know please.

JACUSTOMER-4q0g44kx- :

Hi Jake

JACUSTOMER-4q0g44kx- :

Thanks for that. We haven't had a recurrence yet, but if it comes back I will try to listen to it and find out exactly where it comes from. Is this a regular problem with that engine?

Jake :

I certainly would not call it a regular problem on this engine.

Jake :

but it does happen occasionally and the symptoms are usually pretty consistent

Jake :

let me know if you need anything else.

Jake :

thanks