Mike
Mike, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

We have a Mitsubishi Outlander GX Diesel. 2012. It has become

We have a Mitsubishi Outlander GX Diesel. 2012.
It has become frightening to drive as garage (Mitsubishi) cannot find out what is wrong. Car can be motoring well, and there will be a sudden loss of power. Sometimes in 5th or 6th gear. Today in first it refused the incline on our drive. So scary when pulling out into traffic as loss of power means the vehicle slows or nearly stops. It can help to put the car into neutral and rev the engine. This sometimes results in power being restored.
Today was so worrying that I am taking the car back to the garage.
Please any ideas as to the cause of the problem?
Sue
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome.
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
Im sorry to see you have had a wait on your question - Im afraid this happens if there is no one on at the time that can answer your particular query or we are extremely busy sometimes..
Again - Im happy to help - please tell me exactly what the dealer has done - and said re the problem..
Too - please give the FULL reg of the vehilce..
Also - do you get any fault lights on when this issue happens? And - does the exhaust smoke excessively - or any increased noise from the engine etc?
Rgds, MIKE.........................
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Until today dealer has just said they have test driven the car and linked to the computer but no fault showed and car behaved well.
However:
Car has suddenly got a great deal worse, so it is back in the garage, with any luck they will sort it on Monday.
Steam coming from exhaust at times. Very little power - only just managed the 9 miles to the garage.
VO62 RJY
No increased noise.
No fault lights.
I will contact you again if the garage still say they cannot diagnose problem, but I feel it has got so bad that they must be able to sort it.......................
Sue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know this is not your fault, but being told waiting time is 8 mins when the answer was the following day jut is not helpful. Would rather be told the truth. S
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply and further info..Im afraid I was off when you replied and then the weekend..Sunday..Just a note - the 8 min time you saw has nothing to do with us here - thats for new listed questions.. Im sorry if thats unclear..but too, has nothing to do with me - I have no control over that Im afraid -... Further to the issue you have - It being Monday now they may have updated you - let me know on that - But - if its producing steam, that would indicate coolant getting into the engine / combustion chamber - usually this indicates a head gasket / head / block ( engine ) issue - That will need deep investigation - There is proper test equipment for that - they will have that -So let me know how you / they have gone on today - as you mention...Kind Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Today they have identified the problem as the Diesel particulate Filter, and said I should not have bought a diesel car if I made a lot of short journeys. I was pretty fed up as I bought the car from this garage. It is still under guarantee (until 28th Sept) The filter I gather should clean itself and the garage claim to have forced it to do so. Do you think I should get a replacement filter?
They also said diesel had been pumped into the oil.
I am recommended to take the car for a drive of 50 miles each week! No doubt at my expense.
As I drove the car home, it was much better, but still spluttering at times.
Am now about to drive to west Wales on holiday. About 80 miles.
Very nervous, may have to call on the AA.Thanks for your help.
Sue
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Sue - Thank you for your reply.Ok... the infernal DPF issue ( Diesel Particulate Filter ) yes... To be honest Im a little surprised they have come up with this - not because they dont cause such issues - they certainly do - but because they hadn't sussed this before for you - Too - you should get a light on the dash when that clogs up also and you hadn't mentioned that ( unless that was an oversight )Anyway - if that is the issue then yes that would make sense... and its true they clog.. for proper operation / to keep them clean and working ok, the vehicle should be run at decent speeds regularly.. esp if you do a lot of town driving. To tell you to take it on a*****weekly though is a bit ridiculous.What you need to do - or best advice.. is where you can when you get the chance.. drive the vehilce at speed...50 -60 mph..in 4th gear..for 5 mile or so if you can,..or as much as you can...weekly / fortnightly - this raises the revs higher and heats the dpf sufficently to force it to regenerate - clean. That should keep on top of it for you. Plus you can but from good car shops - a Dpf cleaner fluid that you can pour in the tank at intervals ..to help.Too - you can drive it as above if the light comes on again or you get the same fault...to clear it... IF it becomes a real regular issue, it will have to have the dpf filter replaced... but then look after it as above too..Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~>>~ Meanwhile now - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for this Mike. We have been away and the car performed very poorly - sluggish . The journey was 80 miles each way and once or twice I was able to get the speed above 50 - but not for many miles. The DPF sign came on (for the first time I am sure) and then the orange engine sign came on and is still on.
I am taking the car in for its first MOT tomorrow (Monday 21st) and hope the garage will agree to change the DPF.
Are all recent diesel car suffering in the same way? A friend is so fed up with his he has had the filter removed.................