Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician
21364095

The alarm on my 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander went off suddenly

The alarm on my 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander went off suddenly as I got into it yesterday and I could not find a way to turn it off, even after repeated lock and unlocking, stopping and starting the engine, and locking and unlocking the driver's door manually with the key. I had to drive round town on an urgent errand with the alarm going (it did stop at short intervals, but then started again) and continued to sound when I returned home 15 mins later. I opened the hood and started trying to disconnect the main car battery to stop the noise (it was late evening) but after a few more minutes it stopped and did not restart again even though I had not yet succeeded in disconnecting the battery. Any advice?
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the response. The alarm has stopped going off now of its own accord, so the immediate problem has gone away. However, I'm still none the wiser as to why it happened in the first place, and worried that it could happen again. I can't be the only person this has happened to -- there must be someone out there with experience of Mitsubishi alarms. In particular I'd like to know why it stopped, and whether there is a built-in time limit on the length of time it will continue before it resets itself, which is what it seems to have done. So, please keep my question open. In any case, I have paid £15 to get this far and would like my money's worth, please.

Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialities differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Doug C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, The most likely scenario here is a lack of signal to the ETACS to disarm the alarm. This signal comes from one of two places; either from the wireless signal from the key or from the turning motion of the key in the door.In the event of the key being used wirelessly to disarm the alarm, if the alarm still sounded even though the locks unlocked and the car was allowed to operate otherwise, this indicates a malfunction inside the ETACS (The fuse box-computer inside the dash).In the event of the key being used mechanically in the door to unlock it, this is most likely a malfunction of the drivers door latch. The door latch on the driver side has a bar linking the lock to the latch, and when this bar moves it the latch has a switch that reads this motion and sends a ground signal to the ETACS to disarm. Note this was only available in 2008 models... later models got rid of this and the alarm would always sound when the key was used in the door. As dumb as that configuration is, the explanation behind it was that no one used the keyholes anymore and it was only there for emergencies anyway. That aside.... if the alarm went off while using the key in the door, you would expect the latch being faulty or on a bit of a long shot for this model, a wiring problem between it and the ETACS.As for why it stopped.... they do time out after a fairly long duration, and if this happens while the vehicle is running it will usually reset the alarm. Additionally, if the problem was due to a electronic malfunction (Be it the latch not reading the movement correctly or the ETACS malfunctioning), these issues can come and go usually with relation to temperature or dampness etc. The best thing to do for right now is hang tight until it occurs again and more symptoms come out to work with; when it does the best course of action would be to unhook the horns and get it to a Mitsubishi store or a independent with heavy Mitsubishi experience that will have a proper scan tool to read the ETACS, see what faults triggered the alarm, and check the input operation.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician