Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician
21364095

My 2011 lancer will only run from the time you turn the engine

Customer Question

my 2011 lancer will only run from the time you turn the engine on for 15 min's with the cruise control and once it turns it self off will not go back in to it.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,If the problem is specific to the operation with cruise control, then I would be most suspicious of an aftermarket cruise unit first, and if it is a factory cruise unit (it is built into the factory ECU, but not "Active" on all trim levels) then I would be most suspicious of a problem with either the brake light switch or brake light bulbs.The aftermarket units are problematic in general, especially on fly by wire vehicles and pretty much are all inclusive anyway, so any issue there is an automatic replacement of the unit. Luckily most of these cars came with the factory cruise anyway and hopefully that is not a variable on yours.With the factory cruise the system is completely self contained in the ECU, using existing components that are used for normal driving too (normal throttle body operation, operated through the same process etc). So there is no external component to fail, and any issue like a throttle body or speed sensor failure would result in problems during normal driving too, so they are ruled out.Then we need to look at what kills the cruise.... the brake light switch, the clutch switch if a manual, the buttons themselves, and the brake lights. Of those items the most suspect are the brake lights.... in addition to them generating heat from the running lights if you have them on, additionally we have seen a few instances of people having exhaust leaks (or aftermarket mufflers) that dump partially behind the bumper resulting in temperatures in the tail lamps to go abnormally high. Since the cruise monitors the brake light resistance to determine if it needs to cancel or not, this change in resistance from heat from either source (running lamps on and a bad bulb(s) or exhaust nearby) cause the cruise to turn off.The brake switch, clutch switch and control buttons do not really have any reason to suddenly cause problems after a certain amount of time like the brake lights do.... but just as well they are easy enough to check resistance through each switch before the problem occurs and while the problem is occurring for variance, as well as testing switch operation before and after the event to see if there is any change in operation or resistance.