Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My Mitsubishi Outlander will be 4 years old this xmas, two

Customer Question

My Mitsubishi Outlander will be 4 years old this xmas, two weeks ago I started to have knocking sounds in the engine compartment and shuddering in the clutch pedal. I called the AA who towed it the my local garage as the AA stated that it was the dual fly wheel and I shouldn't drive it. Since then i have Had a replacement clutch, Dual Mass Flywheel & concentric slave cylinder & balance shaft gearbox / oil fitted at a cost of £2,718.96. My car is back with the mechanics now as the same noise started again yesterday 14.12.15 & i have just been informed by the mechanic that all the teeth have been stripped off the oil pump and found in the sump & he doesn't know how. My challenge now is that he is stating that he will look at the engine again try to find out what & why and then discuss who will be paying for this, but with all the debris found in the sump what do i do for the best!!
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have attached a photgraph of the debris found in my sump as of 1600 today!
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
The pic is fairly small, but you can certainly see a considerable amount of metal in there.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
If all the teeth were sheered off the oil pump then you should have lost oil pressure for sure and had the oil light on though.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You are correct I did have a red oil pressure light on at the start up of the engine for approx 2 min then went out, the mechanic has stated that it drove perfectly smooth although again on start up at my house both the light and engine knocking sound again started then stopped after driving it a few moments. When he tested the vehicle at his garage after a rest it it had no oil pressure what so ever so they pushed it onto the ramp! My concern is he has stated that he has no idea as to what or why this has happened and that he has tried to get tech help of the vehicle to try to carry out a so called self diagnostic but cannot find any information. So unfortunately it is a suck it and see. I have been today hence the photo but he has stated that he will not charge for the labour but we will need to have another talk about items of parts which will be required to mend it! what are your thoughts as to what may have happened as he could tell me anything and I would need to pay.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Well an oil pump shearing the drive gear teeth off is pretty uncommon, but when it happens it's usually due to the pump seizing and the sprocket and propulsion of the motor shearing them off. Usually the key way will shear
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
Even if he does all the labor for free the pump itself is still about $280
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if you were the mechanic on my vehicle presented with this what would you advise ref to the best way forward as I still owe a further 1 years finance on the vehicle i.e. 2016/17 it will be my car? I am unsure as to what he would do ref to flushing the engine out to get rid of all the foreign objects possibly still pre / post filters.
Expert:  Jake replied 11 months ago.
In this situation I wouldn't over think it, just be careful to rid the engine of any metal pieces because they are quite large. I would pull the plugs and valve covers to look for any debris at all and remove any I find. After replacing the pump i would fill the engine with oil and remove the fuel pump fuse. I would crank the engine over extensively without starting it to pump oil through it and clear any debris I could not see. Then drain the oil, replace the filter, and inspect the pan one last time before starting and running the vehicle.