Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have an automatic 3.2 pajero. the gear shifter is very stiff

i have an automatic 3.2 pajero. the gear shifter is very stiff and now all i can get is reverse and neutral.. i can only start in neutral as it wont go into park properly . what could it be
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question. What you want to try and do is disconnect the linkage from the transmission itself and see if the shifter will move freely. This will rule out an issue with the shifter itself if it moves freely. if it does and you re-install the linkage and it gets difficult again then it's likely the manual valve inside the transmission itself. Over time they get debris in them and make it very difficult to change gears, ESPECIALLY when cold. Lots of times warming the vehicle up and driving it will resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello jake
if it is the manual valve is it a big job to sort out.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
The manual valve is a pretty big job, the valve is part of the hydraulic circuit. So before we jump to serious conclusions lets make sure the control cable and shifter assembly arent causing issues themselves. If you need anything else let me know.