Greg
Greg, All import japan models
Experience:  All Japan made models
29331485

My shogun is taking a long time to start up in the morning

Customer Question

Hi my shogun is taking a long time to start up in the morning and had new plugs last year so sure it's not them and have found a small amount of oil in the air filter..any clue..
Category: Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My car is a 97 reg.. When it dose start as it will after a while my take up to 30 seconds to get it to go.. Only been last couple of months she has been getting this way.. And it is a very small amount of oil still most of the pink colour showing on the air filter. Only no it's their if u rub ur finger in side the air pip coming in to the filter.. Other then that when it starts she run's nice..
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Which engine the 4M40 or 4D56 .
How many miles on this engine and has any major engine work been done in the past.
Is the engine smoking if yes what colour and when ? accelerating decelerating , idle ??
Greg.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Greg it's a 97 reg Diesel 2.8 intercooler and no work on engine only filter changes and generals Maintenance and black once she start but that's not all the time but had her 8 yrs now and it has alway done it really I no with Diesel Mitsubishis they do this a lot.. Like I said only out of the norm for her is she has this winter ie the cold snap started to take longer to start and since the summer their is a very little amount of oil just on the bottom of the black pip that gose in to the lid that clips on to the filter housing it like a small layer which unless u rub ur finger in their u wouldn't no it's there.. Only other I can add us I have started going out and starting her in the night as I'm alway up early hours and if I do this she start straight away and then straight away in the morning it's only really if I leave her all night she take along time then to start.. Hope this is all helpful.. Thanks Lin..
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Looks like you may have the typical primmer pump one way valve failure . What happens is on the primmer pump where the fuel filter is is the one way valve when this starts to fail fuel slowly drains back to the tank ,henes after a long soak the fuel drain back and then you need a longer time to get fuel back up to the injection pump and injectors. Let soak over night and in the morning pump the primmer until it is nice and hard to pump then try and start, if the engine starts a lot easier then replace the primmer pump and filter . Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service. This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .Kind regards Greg..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry forgot mileage she is 18 years old so not low.. But it's 183422 and I don't really get any smoke from the engine when driven unless as do get someone that dose that out of the blue stop and u have to react thick.. May get a bit of black then when pulling away.. Ans she has not done any towing.. If that help's when started she sounds sweet.. And if u need it she has got so go in her my friend has same as me only a year newer.. And it gutless.. He loves mine.. I was wondering if the engine is just starting to lose a bit of compression around the rings.. I do know a little bit about how they work for .. But anyway thanks again Lin
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Compression will start to be less but if the acceleration is still good then compression will also be good,
Engine with this mileage is normal to blow a bit of black smoke .
Injectors will be a bit warn out and giving more fuel than normal .
Check the primmer pump as said above ,
Greg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanku Greg with do tomorrow.. Lin
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Great let me know the outcome .If not the problem will show you what to do next . Greg
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Greg sorry didn't reply yesterday it didn't help but going to replace it anyway I have order it all and now here will replace and let u know been looking at injectors for it and have seen u can buy jut the tips for the injectors are they hard to replace or should I get new.. I have to say I have always had it .. I got the car in 2008.. And second winter I noticed on the odd morning in the winter months she may take a little to start so changed glow plugs done that twice since I've had her did help.. But this year has just been a night mare I have to start it be4 bed and again early hours otherwise she just dose not want to start its to the point where u think the battery is going to die in a minute then just be4 it dose she gose.. Anyways Thanks again Lin
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
You need to check if the glow plugs are staying on long enough when cold .In the morning with a 12 volt test lamp connect to the negative post on the battery and with the test light point tip on the glow plug rail , then switch on the ignition and the test light should glow for at least 10 - 15 seconds ,even more time if very cold . if it only comes on for a few seconds then you may have a problem with the engine coolant temp sensor . Rgds Greg
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
Hi Going to attach a PDF manusl as it looks like you know what youare doing . There is no relay ,but could be a faulty switch line connection ETC. Check out the PDF attached and get back to me if needed. Als check the kick down cable this has influence on the O/D when switched ON.if adjustment is out with jump in and out of O/D Rgds Greg
Expert:  Greg replied 10 months ago.
LOL sorry disregard the last message ? was for another customer. Rgds Greg