Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician
21364095

Doug, I have a 54 plate L200, I jump started her about 6

Hi Doug, I have a 54 plate L200, I jump started her about 6 months ago and since then she randomly locks herself, even when driving. I now carry two sets of keys in case she locks me out again, but was wondering if there was a way to fix the problem. Also this week, the horn got quieter and quieter until it finally stopped working! Any ideas? Many thanks, Lucy
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 10 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Doug C. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Lucy, The horn should just be a failing horn trumpet... they are extremely common to fail with age and when they do they just get more and more pathetic sounding until they stop working. There isn't really too much else to suspect given that chain of events. With relation to the locks situation... before doing anything I would double check the fuses to make sure you didn't pop one during the jump start. If no fuses are blown, I would suspect that you may have suffered damage to the ETACS during the jumpstart. The ETACS is the "Computer" of sorts that controls the central locking... apart from obviously the switch on the door (which could not be at fault here) the ETACS is the only thing that can control the locks as a logic function or as a result of wireless signal. What I would be doing here first is if you have wireless transmitters for the locks, separate them from your keys. Put them in the house and then drive the truck and see if the locks no longer cycle randomly. If they do not, then we know the transmitters are playing a role. At that point you would want to reprogram them and see if the problem resolves... if it does not, then it is likely a coincidental failure of the transmitter(s) took place. If it does resolve, then the logic just got jumbled up and you should be all set.If the locks still cycle with the transmitters removed from the equation and all fuses are verified good, then it is likely the ETACS took some sort of damage during the jump start. This is assuming of course there is direct relation between your jump start and the condition forming. The only reason I mention that is we do sometimes see the door wiring fail on these, resulting in unusual locking behavior primarily. The best way to check for that is to take the drivers door and just repeatedly open and close it partially, stopping in random positions, using random speeds etc. If you get any response from the locks at all, the wiring in the door is failed.Given your chain of events you are probably on the right track thinking the relation with the jump start... the above just happens so much I feel guilty if I don't mention it, especially with the check being so easy.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician