Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Mitsubishi trained and employeed technician
21364095

My 07 colt is juddering and not engaging the gears it is

Customer Question

Hi my 07 colt is juddering and not engaging the gears it is automatic but with manual gears as well any ideas or cost on repair. It has done 62000 miles.
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  Doug C. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Unfortunately when you get to this sort of behavior where you are losing gear operation there isn't a whole lot to suspect beyond internal failure. You would want to check the fluid level first but with it checking out you would be needing to get to a transmission shop for more detailed analysis, anything else would be speculation without doing that.I would be concerned about a pump pressure issue... either due to pump failure or debris jamming the valves. In either scenario you are talking about removal and tear down for inspection. If failure can be identified, depending on the damage the price can vary wildly. If there is a regulator valve hanging open for example and there is not evidence of major debris inside you could get away with just a valve body over haul. At that point you are talking about $1000 range repairs. If there is major failure (large debris, confirmed pump failure, etc) then you are talking about a full over haul... and at that point we are talking in the $2000-3000 range depending on amount of damage found/what needs to be replaced. For most people at that point a used box is a much more realistic option; depending on which model you can often find low milers for under $1000 and a few hundred to install. If it is anything more than something very minor (low fluid level, minor valve issue etc), getting a used box is the most cost conscious option.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not very helpful
Expert:  Doug C. replied 8 months ago.
Hi,Is there something more specific I can address for you, or do you have more detailed information that would allow me to give more thorough of a response? Given the information you have provided I think I covered the what your expected outcome and costs would be, addressing your question.Again if you have more specific details that could allow me to be more in depth or if you have any less-broad questions to address I'd be happy to help you further.